Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Share This Story
FX Blog- TTN - U.S. Market UpdateU.S. Market Update
Dow -90 S&P -7.7 NASDAQ -3.4
- With all eyes focused towards the Feb jobs report the U.S. Federal Reserve grabbed a large chunk of the spotlight when they raised the TAF outstanding to $100B from $60B before the release. Rumors emanating out of the overnight session that that the Fed was likely to announce an intermeeting cut post a weak jobs number helped equity and bond futures firm. The April fed fund future contract was fully pricing in 75 bp worth of cuts and putting better than 30% odds of an additional 25 bp worth of cuts as traders arrived at their desks in the U.S. The TAF announcement displaced the inter-meeting cut rumor but confirmed the sentiment that the jobs data would be poor for the second month in a row. When it was announced that Feb non-farm payrolls contracted by 63K equity futures plunged along with Treasury yields. The 2- year yield moved below 1.50% ahead of the NY open but as equity markets pared losses after the open the intense flight to quality dissipated. Financial stocks bounced hard right from the open led by the investment banks leading all three of the major indices into the green a little more than 1 hour into the session. Equity markets have since come nearly half way back to this morning''s opening levels and it looks as if it will be a struggle to hold any gains. Technology is real bright spot as good earnings from NSM +8% have aided the semis. Treasury futures remain higher but off of their best levels. The 2-year is seeing more selling than the long end with the benchmark spread contracting back below 200 basis points. Fed fund futures contracts are still firmer but off of their best levels with April not quite fully pricing in 75bp and Aug pricing in better than 90% odds of a 1.75% fed funds rate. Commodities initially sold off on growth concerns after the jobs number, but again the profit taking as been minimal even despite a firmer Dollar. April crude has made another all- time high above $106 while gold holds $975.
- The USD staged a formidable rebound in what traders termed a ''technical'' bounce from all- time lows against the Euro and Swiss and 8-year lows against the Japanese yen, this after an expectedly weak Feb US employment report. Renewed rumors of an emergency rate cut circulated throughout the European session and credit market jitters continued to weigh upon overall USD sentiment. The iTraxx Crossover Index highlighted the financial market stress as it traded at 651bps for fresh all time highs overnight. FX dealers braced for the worse ahead of the payroll release after the FED FED announced that it would increase its Term Auction Facilities (TAF) outstanding amount to $100B from $60B prior, and added that it was "In close consultation" with foreign central banks. The Fed will continue TAF auctions for "at least six months" further as well. US Payroll data was weaker then consensus expectations, but the ''better'' unemployment rate of 4.8% v 5.0%e helped the dollar to cap its session losses. The EUR/USD all-time high currently stands at 1.5465 and USD/CHF lifetime lows sit at 1.0132. Fed Staff noted that the aim of TAF is to keep funds rate around target and the announcement was not related to the Feb employment report, but the Fed recognized that market conditions deteriorated in recent days. Fed''s Mishkin noted that currency moves are a problem only when it leads to reallocation of resources. CAD was off its best levels following strong Canadian employment data. Feb employment rose by 43.3K, well above the 3.0K estimates. Dealers note that JPY related flows aided by bring the commodity related currencies off their best levels in the session. European equities rebounded from session lows as traders noted that the FED expansion of acceptable collateral for its terms repos were well received.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Register To Test Your Amazing Trader
- Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
- Live trading strategy sessions.
- Market Updates with Trading Tools.
Trading Ideas for 18 December 2017
Register for the Amazing Trader
Amazing Trader EVENT RISK Calendar:
Mon 18 Dec
10:00 EZ- final HICP
Tue 19 Dec
09:00 DE- IFO Survey
13:30 US- Housing Starts/Permits
13:30 US- Current Account
Wed 20 Dec
15:00 US- Existing Homes Sales
15:30 US- EIA Crude
Thu 21 Dec
03:00 JP- BOJ Decision
13:30 CA- CPI & Retail Sales
13:30 US Weely Jobless
13:30 US- GDP
Fri 22 Dec
09:30 US- GB- GDP
13:30 US- core PCE Deflator & Presonal Income
15:00 US- New Homes Sales
15:00 US- final University of Michigan
17:00 US- early Closes
Mon 25 Dec
00:00 Christmas Holidays
Potential Trading Opportunities
John M. Bland, MBA
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Mon--10:00 GMT-- EZ- final November HICP. flash data are rarely changed.
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Medium Tue --09:00 GMT-- DE- IFO Survey. Key report but usually not a market-mover
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Medium- Tue --13:30 GMT-- US- Housing Starts and Permits. Leading indicators of activity
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH-Medium- Wed --15:00-- US- Existing Homes Sales. Top Housing statistic
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium- Wed --15:30-- US- EIA Crude
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Daily Trading Chart Points Updated
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Free Forex Database updated
TRADER ADVOCACY ARTICLES
Trader's Advocate Articles..