User Name: Password:      Register - Lost password?

Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Wednesday April 23, 2008 - 22:52:33 GMT
FXCM - www.dailyfx.com

Share This Story:
| | Email

Forex Research - What is Next for the US Dollar?

 Wednesday, 23 April 2008 21:31:52 GMT Written by Kathy Lien, Chief Strategist

• Euro Could Fall on German Business Confidence
• British Pound Slips ahead of Retail Sales Report

What is Next for the US Dollar?

After hitting a record low against the Euro on Tuesday, there has been little follow through selling in the US dollar, leaving many traders wondering whether this may be a pause before further losses or a potential bottom.  Although we are long term dollar bears, the break of 1.60 is far  from impressive.  This indicates that there isn’t much speculative interest in taking the Euro higher in the near term, especially as economic data and official comments start to turn against the Euro and in favor of the US dollar.  Earlier this week we had better than expected US housing market numbers.  We would not be surprised to also see a recovery in new home sales.  Even though US durable goods will be pressured by the sales of furniture and electronics, Boeing’s incredibly solid end of quarter earnings and their expectations of another strong year suggests that sales of non-defense aircraft could be firm.  As for the Eurozone, we expect German business confidence to deteriorate materially (discussed in Euro section).  Fed fund futures are currently pricing in an 82 percent chance of a quarter point rate cut next week with the remaining 18 percent probability in favor of no rate cut at all.  This is a sharp departure from just a week ago when the market was pricing in a 76 percent chance of a 25bp cut and a 24 percent chance of a 50bp cut.  The only reason for this dramatic shift in expectations is the increased inflationary pressures.  A week ago, oil prices were trading at $113 a barrel and yesterday it hit an intraday high of $119.90 a barrel.  The dollar should continue to recover for the rest of the week, but the party may end the following week when we have the Federal Reserve interest rate decision and non-farm payrolls due for release.  We believe that the market may be under pricing the degree of Fed rate cuts because the problems in the US economy are far from over.  Non-farm payrolls should continue to drop while  consumer spending will probably slow, leaving the Federal Reserve with a lot of work ahead of them. 

Euro Could Fall on German Business Confidence

The Euro has failed to extend its gains beyond 1.60 and we believe that another day of losses may be in store for the single currency.  More signs of weakness in the Eurozone economy are beginning to reveal themselves.  Even though service sector PMI improved in the month of April, manufacturing sector PMI deteriorated.  This suggests that German business confidence could have also decreased this month as indicated by the ZEW survey.  A little watched report called the Belgium Business Sentiment Index also tends to have a strong correlation with German IFO (chart). The index fell to a 2.5 year low in the month of April with the drop being the steepest on record.  A large decline in German business confidence would be exactly what the Euro needs for a more meaningful turn.   Meanwhile ECB member Noyer backtracked the comments that he made yesterday, which drove the EUR/USD to a record high.  He said that the market misinterpreted his words and that the ECB is not looking to hike interest rates.  For the time being, don’t expect them to lower rates either.

Visit the Euro Currency Room for resources dedicated specifically to the Euro. 

British Pound Slips ahead of Retail Sales Report

Over the next 2 trading days, the big action should be in the British pound.  We are expecting retail sales tomorrow followed by the first quarter GDP report on Friday.  The deterioration in the UK housing market and the UK economy in general will weigh on consumer spending, while the GDP numbers may be partially dependent upon how bad retail sales fared in March.  Unfortunately the minutes from the latest monetary policy meeting failed to provide any clarity on how the central bank may vote at the next meeting because the committee was split 3 ways.  Six of the nine members voted in favor of the 25bp rate cut, 2 members voted for no cut at all while 1 member voted for a 50bp cut.  As a group, they were concerned about everything from growth to credit markets to inflation.  Looking ahead, the only things that will shed more light on where the BoE stands would be tomorrow’s retail sales report. 

Visit the British Pound Currency Room for resources dedicated specifically to the British Pound.  

Economic Data are Big Movers for the Australian, Canadian and New Zealand dollars

With no US economic data on the calendar today, reports from Australia and Canada triggered big moves in the Australian and Canadian dollars.  Consumer prices in Australia jumped 1.2 percent in the first quarter thanks to sharp increases in the prices of gas, pharmaceuticals and electricity.  Although this number drove the Australian dollar significantly higher, it should not have been too much of a surprise following the strength of producer prices reported earlier this week.  The Canadian dollar on the other hand took a big tumble following much weaker than expected retail sales.  This was the first decline in 5 months and coming a day after the Bank of Canada cut interest rates by 50bp, it highlighted the vulnerability of the Canadian economy.  Meanwhile the Reserve Bank of New Zealand has their own interest rate decision tonight.  Unlike the BoC, interest rates are expected to remain unchanged which means that the RBNZ rate decision could be a non-event for the New Zealand dollar. 

Tell us what you think on the Canadian dollar Forum.  

Japanese Yen Crosses Mixed

The Japanese Yen crosses were mixed today with USD/JPY rallying but many of the other yen crosses dipping despite a 42 point rally in the Dow.  After breaking higher last Friday, there has not been much follow through in US equities, which leaves many traders nervous about whether risk appetite is really here to stay.  The latest merchandise trade balance report was weaker than expected, but the surplus still increased last month.  The strength of the Japanese Yen is beginning to take a toll on exports, particularly in the electronic components and machinery sector.  Imports on the other hand rose 11 percent, mainly due to the rise in oil prices.

Visit the Japanese Yen Currency Room for resources dedicated specifically to the Yen.

Daily1_4-23

Daily2_4-23

Daily3_4-23




By Kathy Lien, Chief Strategist of DailyFX.com

Contact Kathy Lien about this article at klien@dailyfx.com

 

 

Forex Trading News

Forex Research

Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found here.

Forex News
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."



Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!

The Amazing Trader includes:
  • Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
  • Live trading strategy sessions.
  • Market Updates with Trading Tools.

Register To Test Your Amazing Trader


Trading Ideas for 18 December 2017

Register for the Amazing Trader

1.

Amazing Trader EVENT RISK Calendar:

Mon 18 Dec
10:00 EZ- final HICP
Tue 19 Dec
09:00 DE- IFO Survey
13:30 US- Housing Starts/Permits
13:30 US- Current Account
Wed 20 Dec
15:00 US- Existing Homes Sales
15:30 US- EIA Crude
Thu 21 Dec
03:00 JP- BOJ Decision
13:30 CA- CPI & Retail Sales
13:30 US Weely Jobless
13:30 US- GDP
Fri 22 Dec
09:30 US- GB- GDP
13:30 US- core PCE Deflator & Presonal Income
15:00 US- New Homes Sales
15:00 US- final University of Michigan
17:00 US- early Closes
Mon 25 Dec
00:00 Christmas Holidays

Forex Trading Outlook


Potential Trading Opportunities

  • POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Mon--10:00 GMT-- EZ- final November HICP. flash data are rarely changed.


  • POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Medium Tue --09:00 GMT-- DE- IFO Survey. Key report but usually not a market-mover
  • POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Medium- Tue --13:30 GMT-- US- Housing Starts and Permits. Leading indicators of activity

  • POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH-Medium- Wed --15:00-- US- Existing Homes Sales. Top Housing statistic
  • POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium- Wed --15:30-- US- EIA Crude

John M. Bland, MBA
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Daily Trading Chart Points Updated

EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Free Forex Database updated




TRADER ADVOCACY ARTICLES

Trader's Advocate Articles..

pic

Retail Forex Brokerage Changing!

Are you looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are more critical things to consider than you might have thought.

We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.

Our Best Brokers listing section includes:Forex Broker Reviews, Forex Broker Directory, Forex Broker Comparisons and advice on How to Choose a Forex Broker

If would like guidance, advice, or have any concerns at all ASK US. We are here to help you.

SEE Our Best Brokers List

Currency Trading Tools

  • Live rates, currency news, fx charts. 

  • Research reports and currency forecasts.

  • Foreign Exchange database and history.

  • Weekly economic calendar.

Directory of  Forex trading tools

 
Terms of Use    Disclaimer    Privacy Policy    Contact    Site Map


Forex Forum
Forex Trading Forum
Forex Forum + forex rates
Forex Forum Archives
Forex Forum RSS
Free Registration

Trading Forums
Currency Forum Guide
Forum Directory
Open Forum
Futures Forum
Political Forum
Forex Brokers
Compare Forex Brokers
Forex Broker News
Forex Broker Hotline

Online Forex Trading
Forex Trading Tools
Currency Trading Tools
Forex Database
FX Chart Points
Risk/Carry Trade Chart Points
Economic Calendar
Quicklinks to Economic Data
Currency Futures Swaps
Fibonacci Calculator
Currency Futures Calculator

Forex Education
Forex Learning Center
FX Trading Basics Course
Forex Trading Course
Forex Trading Handbook

Forex Analysis
Forex Forecasts
Interest Rate Forecasts
Central Bank Forecasts

FX Charts and Quotes
Live FX Rates
Live Global Market Quotes
Live Forex Charts
US Dollar Index Chart
Global Chart Gallery
Daily Market Tracker
Forex News
Forex Blog
Forex News
Forex Blog Archives
Forex News RSS
Forex Services
Forex Products
GVI Forex
Free Trials
FX Bookstore
FX Jobs and Careers
Jobs USA
Jobs UK
Jobs Canada

Forex Forum

The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.

Forex News

The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.

Currency Trading

Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.

Forex Brokers

The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.

Forex Trading

Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.

FX Trading

Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.

Forex Blog

Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.

 

WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.

Copyright ©1996-2014 Global-View. All Rights Reserved.
Hosting and Development by Blue 105