- In equities news overnight: Equities continue to look set to print further gains. Following yesterdays 6th consecutive session of gains, markets in Europe opened to a modest, but positive start. Asian trading remained decidedly mixed as Japan moved higher in an attempt to make up for yesterday's lost rally (observance of Maritime Day holiday) while mainland China and Indian bourses traded lower. Indian equities were led lower on by shares of Tata Steel [TATA.IN] after its post market announcement and pricing of a $400-700M GDR offer. Earnings numbers in Europe continued their ramp up leading to next week's peak. Swedish banks continued to post better than expected earnings despite Baltic exposure with the region's largest bank Nordea [NDA.SW] also feeling strong enough to present mildly bullish forward looking guidance. The world's second largest truck maker Volvo [VOLVB.SW] provided expectedly reduced Q2 earnings on a y/y basis, but managed to post inline top end revenue figures. Pre-H1 comments out of UK grocer Morrison's, stating that cost cutting ops were ahead of schedule and FY EBIT will come in 40bps ahead of prior expectations sent the UK based grocer and broader mixed retail names higher on the open. Equities continued their light trend through the 3:00EST and 4:00EST hour as the session, much like yesterdays, was desperately light in economic data releases. In sector performance, basic resource/mining and financials continue to outperform their rivals along with particular strength in mixed autos, steel and airline names (BA [BA.UK] upgraded to buy from sell at Goldman Sachs). Trading volume remained light, potentially exaggerating any directional moves. The CAC and DAX both significantly underperformed their already depressed moving averages with only the FTSE outperforming (following high turnover in retail/grocer names).
-In individual equities: Volvo [VOLVB.SW] Reported Q2 Net loss SEK5.56B worse than the loss SEK3.8B expected. However, the revenues came in at SEK54.0B slightly above consensus of SEK52.2B.. Q2 Gross Margin 13.3% versus 15.7% q/q. Q2 Total truck deliveries 29.8K compared to 32.2K q/q. The truck market remained weak in its main markets in Europe, North America and Japan. || Nordea [NDA.SW] Reported Q2 Net â‚¬616M better than the â‚¬421M expected. Revenues were â‚¬2.36B above expectations of â‚¬2.1Be. Sees increased risk for somewhat higher loan loss ratio for the full year versus H1. || Svenska Handelsbanken [SHBA.SW] Reported Q2 Net SEK2.5B slight above expectations of SEK2.3B. , Revenues were in line at SEK8.22B. Net commission Income SEK1.86B above expectations SEK1.69Be. Q2 Loan losses SEK939M compared to SEK571M y/y. || Next [NXT.UK] Provided Trading Update as its 25 week LFL sales fel by 1.9%. it guided H2 LFL Sales in a range of -3.5 to - 6.5% y/y. || ThyssenKrupp [TKA.GE] Announced FY09 iron ore price contract with Vale, reducing fines price by 28%, iron-ore pellet price by 48%, lump ore by 44%. Thyssenhrupp saw lower ore prices as providing boost to earnings. || Morrison [MRW.UK] Provided Market Update:as it s forecasted its FY gross margin beating previous estimates by 40bps. Strong start to the year has been maintained through the second quarter. . || Elan [ELN.IR] Reported Q2 -$0.14 versus -$0.15 expected, R $280.9M v $261.7Me. || Faurecia [EO.FR] Reported H1 Net loss â‚¬365M worse than loss â‚¬187.3M expected, Rev â‚¬4.38B below the â‚¬4.52B forecasts. || Veolia [VIE.FR] Awarded long term tramway contract in Texas. Revenues could reach $1.5B. || Hermes [RMS.FR] Reported H1 Rev â‚¬874.9M above â‚¬844.8M estimates. Reports Q2 Rev â‚¬446.6M beat â‚¬413.4M expected. Trend seen in H1 is in line with group's target of steady sales for the full year at constant rates. Saw slight contraction in current operating income. || Continental [CON.GE] Could seek to pursue a â‚¬1B capital increase (21.7% of market cap) - FT Deutschland. According to the article, Continental's CEO is said to be preparing a proposal to give to the supervisory board at the end of this month. The article adds that it is doubtful major shareholder Schaeffler Group would go along because a rights offering would dilute its stake. Also, according to sources there are no concrete talks with investors in Kuwait. || Kuka AG [KU2.GE] Update: Reports Q2 Net loss â‚¬34M v loss â‚¬7.7Me, Rev â‚¬211M v â‚¬221Me. See Pretax loss for FY09 operations. Continuation of extraordinary charges have continued to weaken operating results. || Escada [ESC.GE] To sell 10.5M new shares in restructuring (50% of shares outstanding). Shareholders will be offered new shares for subscription at a ratio of 2-to-1 and at a subscription price of â‚¬2.78/shr. The subscription period starts on July 23 and ends Aug. 5. || Actelion [ATLN.SZ] Reports Q2 Net CHF116.2M v CHF97.6Me. H1 Net profit CHF218.4M v CHF223Me, Rev CHF855.2M v CHF824Me. Expects to exceed initial guidance. Sees total revenue and cash EBIT increasing between 16% and 19% for the full year (prior FY09 sales guidance of +12-15% y/y as given April 21st). ||
- Speakers: BoE's Bean commented that the BoE would likely to raise interest rate first as part of a Quantitative easing (QE) exit strategy. He noted that the central bank would likely sell assets only after an initial rate hike. Bean noted that the BOE would also withdraw stimulus if CPI outlook overshot its 2% target||UK DMO chief Stheeman stated that the UK would need more than one rating downgrade in order to curb the foreign buying of Gilts. He noted that there was continuing demand for UK government debt from investors
|| India Fin Min Mukherjee commented that the Indian Central Bank (RBI) currency policy targeted to reduce volatility and maintain adequate reserves || Indian Junior Fin Min Meena stated that Indian States could raise its deficit to 4% of GDP in FY10 from 3.5% level due to drop in revenue
- In Currencies: USD remains steady throughout the European morning but remained near recent lows. Some profit-taking cited for the USD sideways tone but sovereign accounts continue to show buying interest around the 1.4190 level seen as indication of reserve diversification. Bernanke himself pre-empted his own appearance with a column in the WSJ reiterating that policy will remain accommodative but offering four different exit strategy scenarios for when the time came.
- The GBP remained soft in session against its major pairs. Following UK public finance data the GBP/USD was off 100 pips from its opening level in Asia at 1.6420 and at 0.8660 versus the Euro. UK data highlighted the worsening tax receipts as the recession continues to wreak fiscal havoc. The UK budget deficit is pushed to record highs.
- In Energy/commodities: China's power generation increased 3% and consumption rose 4.3% in the first half of July|| Dragon Oil [DGO.UK] Provided trading statement: H1 avg daily output at 42.8K BOPD, up 11% y/y. Entitlement barrels in 1H 2009 at approximately 65% of the gross field production compared to 54% in 1H 2008. || Norway Q2 Oil output at 1.86M bpd v 2.04M bpd y/y, Gas output 23.64B scm v 23.21B scm y/y
- In Fixed Income Supply: The UK sold Â£4B in 4% 2016 Gilts with results that , whilst hardly spectacular, were encouraging following startling public finances figures and clumsy comments out of the Debt Management Office. The DMO's Stheeman noted early in the session that it would take two sovereign ratings downgrades of UK debt before the threat of a buyers strike amongst foreign Gilt investors could become real. This was followed by the highest June deficit on record for the UK at Â£13B, with the country's debt to GDP ratio reaching its highest level since the mid 1970's. Gilts nonetheless attempted to repeat the heroics of the England cricket team yesterday , holding on to positive territory and even outperforming Bunds and Treasuries for most of the session. Strongly worded comments on an exit strategy from QE from the BoE's Bean appeared to be the straw that broke the camels back, sending Sept Gilts into session lows (116.67 at the time of writing), and seeing UK yields mover higher across the curve with the short end under the most pressure leading to bear flattening. Bean noted that a rate hike would take place before sales of Gilts, and the issue of exit strategies remains in focus with Fed Chairman Bernanke's testimony before the House rapidly approaching. The yield on the 10y Bund is 1bps higher at 3.428% whilst the 10y Note is 2bps higher at 3.626%.
*** NOTES ***
- California lawmakers say they have reached a deal to close the state's $26B budget deficit.
- Bernanke writes Op Ed article: Exit strategy closely tied to balance sheet, eliminating large bank reserves. Conditions not likely to warrant tighter policy for extended period.
-Japanese Parliament is dissolved for August 30 election, as expected
- Notable Earnings ahead of NY equity open including Blackrock [BLK], Peabody Energy [BTU, Continental Airlines [CAL], Caterpillar [CAT], Dupont [DD], Quest Diagnostics [DGX], Freeport Macmoran [FCX], Coca Cola [KO], Lockhee martin [LMT], Merck [MRK], Schering Plough [SGP], State Street bank [SST]. Unitedhealth [UNH], United Technologies [UTX]
- 8:00 (PD) Polish Jun Net Core Inflation M/M: No estimate v 0.3% prior, Y/Y: 2.7%e v 2.80% prior
- 8:30 (US) Chicago Fed Nat Activity Index -1.3e v -2.3 prior
- 9:00 (CA) Bank of Canada Rate Decision: Expected to leave interest rrate unchanged at 0.25%
- 10:00 (US) Fed Chairman Bernanke's semi annual monetary policy testimony before House Financial Services Committee
Legal disclaimer and risk disclosure
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
Mon 9 July 2018 AA 12:00 EZ- Draghi EU Parliament Testimony Tue 10 July 2018 AA 08:30 GB- Ind/Prod Output, Trade AA 09:00 DE- ZEW Survey Wed 11 July 2018 A 12:30 US- PPI A 14:00 CA- Bank Of Canada Decision A 14:30 US- EIA Crude Thu 12 July 2018 AA 12:30 US- CPI Fri 13 July 2018 A 14:00 US- Prelim University of Michigan
John M. Bland, MBA co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
Global-View Affiliate Program
We are starting an affiliate program to market some of our products.
Send me an email if you would be interested or if you know someone who would like to be an affiliate. Generous commissions payout for those accepted.
Put the word "affiliate" in the email subject line.
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.