- In equities news overnight: European equity markets opened to the downside taking their heavy tone from the equity declines seen across Asia. In China, the Shanghai Composite Index fell by over 5.75%, its largest fall in nine-months. Declines in commodity and energy futures have equally dampened the equity tone within that sector. Major Swedish lender SwedBank [SWEDA.SW] announced at SEK15B secondary offer that has reignited speculation regarding the health of the pan-Baltic borrowing and financial sector. This secondary announcement comes after last week's sovereign rating downgrades and disappointing Q2 GDP reads for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. With earnings season winding down, today's pre-market only saw H2 reports out of Michael Page [MPI.UK], Fresnillo [FRES.UK] and Harmony [HAR.SA]. Bourses have continued a negative trend throughout the European mornings, ignoring mixed emerging markets data, better than expected Swiss retail sales and improved Euro-zone trade balance figures (showing declines in exports to both Russia and China). Equities pushed through the -1% mark by 3:30EST, with the CAC and DAX off over -2% by 5:00EST. Trading volumes have remained broadly in-line with their moving averages.
-In individual equities: SwedBank [SWEDA.SW] Announces SEK15B rights issue (about 30% of market cap). Rights issue to further strengthen core business. Offer will be used to consolidate current strategy. Continue to plan exit from state-backed funding scheme. Have no plans to change current guidance for any operating markets (includes Baltic regions). || Michael Page International [MPI.UK] Reports H1 Pretax Â£43.2M v Â£84.1M y/y, Rev Â£364.7M v Â£335Me, declares interim dividend 2.88p/shr (unchanged). || Fresnillo [FRES.UK] Reports H1 Pretax $180M v $202 y/y, Rev $426M v $494M y/y. || Shell [RDSA.UK] Places bid of Â£1.5B for Australia's Arrow Energy (AOE.AU) - Sunday Telegraph. || Harmony Gold [HAR.SA] : Reports FY09 EPS $0.29 v $0.48e, R $1.28B v $1.41Be. || EDF [EDF.FR] Has selected Barclays to prepare the auction of its UK electricity distribution network - London Times. || Nobel Biocare [NOBN.SZ] CEO: Dismisses rumor of merger plans with Straumann; says merger not possible due to anti-trust regulation. || H&M [HMB.SW] Reports July SSS -3% v -1%e. ||
- Speakers: Polish Dep Fin Min commented Poland public debt faces serious threat in 2010 and saw 2009 GDP growth of at least 0.2%; too early to say if economic slowdown has ended ||Polish Economic Aide stated that the Polish state asset sales will relieve pressure on bond sale operations. Official noted that the path towards economic recovery was going to be a long, slow pattern Have seen production output rising in some sectors
- In Currencies: Risk aversion was the theme throughout the European morning, which helped to maintain a firmer USD and JPY against the major European and commodity-related currencies. The continued weakness in China's equities and the fifth largest US bank failure cited for the fresh spat of risk aversion sentiment.
- The GBP was the softest of the majors as dealers noted that the Sonia market was pricing a less aggressive BOE stance over the coming year with 85bps of BOE interest rate hikes likely over next 12 months versus 130bbps last week. The Aug Rightmove house price index released in Asian showed the biggest MoM decline since Dec 2008. GBP/USD approached the lower end of the 1.63 handle as the European morning wore one. The EUR/USD tested below the 1.41 area while USD popped above the 1.08 level. USD/JPY holding below the 94.70 level throught the session with EUR/JPY off a big figure and GBP/JPY off 170 pips to test 154.25.
- The CAD and AUD were broadly weaker as NYMEX crude declined over $1.70/barrel to test below $68 in the Oct contract. USD/CAD testing 1.11 while AUD/USD dipped below the 0.8170 level.
- In Fixed Income: The Bank of England's quarterly inflation report, which forecast subdued inflation for the foreseeable future, is still reverberating throughout Gilt markets ahead of official CPI numbers tomorrow. The yield on the 2y Gilt hit fresh all time lows below 0.88% ahead of the figures, where inflation is expected to turn negative on the quarter and on an annual basis, fall below the Bank's 2% target for the second straight month. Bunds and Treasuries are both seeing some follow through from Friday's rally, albeit in thin volumes, as a familiar risk aversion picture takes shape, yield curves in both territories are undergoing some bull flattening thanks to long end outperformance. The 10y Note has not managed to sustain any dips below the 3.50% mark whilst the Bund tested an August low yield of 3.285%. Quantitative easing is next up on the slate, with the BoE fielding offers on Â£1.4B in long dated Gilts in a reverse auction and the Fed conducting a 4 to 6y Treasury coupon pass. Three month Euribor reset at another all time low of 0.86%.
- In Energy: National Hurricane center (NHC) noted that Bill became the first hurricane of the year with winds hitting 75mph. ||China's Vice Commerce Min Zhong says China should increase imports of key energy and resources products for the state's strategic reserves as part of efforts to reduce the country's trade surplus
*** NOTES ***
- Risk aversion sentiment surfaces as Chine equities slump. Sentiment that the rally in riskier assets had outpaced the prospects for economic growth. Equities lower, bond futures higher. USD and JPY firmer against European and commodity currencies
- Atlantic registers its first hurricane with Bill, but to avoid the Gulf, Ana weakens a bit and remains a tropical depression as she makes her way towards the Gulf of mexico
- UK Rightmove House prices register larest MoM decline since Dec
- Japan ends its recession as Q2 growth came sin at 0.9%
***Looking Ahead*** US Corporate earnings: Lowe's expected before the NY opening bell
- 8:30 (CL) Chile July Copper Exports: No expectations v $1.98B prior
- 8:30 (US) Aug Empire Manufacturing: 3.00e v -0.55 prior
- 9:00 (US) Jun Net Long-term TIC Flows: $17.5Be v -$19.8B prior
- 9:00 (US) Jun Total Net TIC Flows: $23.0Be v -$66.6B prior
- 9:00 (PD) Polish July Budget Level (Monthly Total) No expectations v -253.9M prior
- 9:00 (PD) Polish July Budget Perf. (YTD) No expectations v 91.60% prior; Budget Level (YTD) No expectations v -16.7B prior
- (UK) BoE to buy Â£1.4B in 2025 - 2032 Gilts in its reverse auction
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.