***Economic Data** - (US) MBA Mortgage Applications w/e Feb 12th: -2.1% v -1.2% prior - (US) ICSC weekly Chain Store sales w/e Feb 13th: -1.6% w/w, -1.7% y/y - (CA) Canada Dec Wholesale Sales M/M: 0.7% v 0.8%e - (US) Jan Import Price index M/M: 1.4% v 1.0%e; Y/Y: 11.5% v 10.8%e - (US) Jan Housing Starts: 591K v 580Ke; Building Permit: 621K v 620Ke - Redbook Retail Sales for the week ending Feb 13th: +1.8% y/y; MTD +1.6% v Jan - (BE) Belgium Q4 Preliminary GDP Q/Q: 0.3% v 0.7% prior; Y/Y: -0.8% v -3.2% prior - (US) Jan Industrial Production: 0.9% v 0.7%e; Capacity Utilization: 72.6% v 72.6%e
- The positive January housing starts and industrial production data plus follow-on strength from Asian and European markets helped US equities to some early gains. Deere's very strong results and strength in selected bank stocks are also a factor this morning. But a general uptick in risk aversion most notably seen in an underlying bid in the US Dollar is serving as a headwind heading towards the second half of the NY session. Indices have given back nearly all their gains from the strong open. Commodities are generally near their lows of the session but declines are modest. Treasury prices have been lower through much of the session, but declines there are modest as well holding the benchmark yield below 3.7%.
- Citi and Bank of America are both up nearly 3% in early trading thanks to increased stakes among various hedge funds. Shares of Deere and Company are up nearly 8% following the company's stunning quarterly results. The firm also offered very strong revenue guidance for the coming quarter and the full year. Profitability in the unit that makes Deere's green tractors and harvesters was especially impressive, reporting margins of nearly 10 percent -- three times what investors had expected. Quarterly results from biotech giant Genzyme were in line, although its full-year forecast missed expectations; GENZ is down slightly. Whole Foods Market is up 10% on stronger-than-expected earnings and a big increase in the firm's 2010 outlook. XTO Energy beat expectations.
- In other earnings, Office Max is up 5% after reporting a smaller loss than expected plus revenue above par. Dollar Thrifty's earnings were a big positive surprise, and the company said further improvements in the economy would improve results further. PF Chang's crushed expectations and launched a dividend. La-Z-Boy crushed expectations. Talbot's improved its Q4 revenue outlook.
- The greenback appears to have decoupled from precious metal prices, as the currency strengthened throughout the European session and into the New York morning. Dealers discussed the ECB overnight lending facility and the recent spike in borrowings. The take-up in the overnight facility has been sizable but markets are assuming that Thursday's report should paint a different picture, with the one-week week auction binding up the gap. However, some dealers warn that if the large overnight borrowings remain in the system then it suggests the European peripheral situation may be a larger problem than recent rhetoric heard from EU figures might suggest. There has been some speculation that the recent surge was a failed Greek repo trade which has now been bridged. EUR/USD has re-penetrated the 1.3690 level, which provided the catalyst for the price action on Tuesday and brought about broad based US Dollar bids. The yen maintained a softer tone early but prices action is picking up as what appear to be risk aversion flows into the Dollar.
- Note that the dollar's recent decoupling from gold seemed to be complemented by a Far East analyst's take on the recent US TIC data. Although China's holdings of US Treasuries declined by $34B in Dec, the funds have likely stayed within the US borders for the time being as China purchases real goods like land, farms or shares in certain firms on the US mainland.
***Looking Ahead*** - 11:00 (IT) Italy Fin Min Tremonti in Parliament - 12:00 (GE) Chancellor Merkel policy speech - 12:00 (CA) Canada to sell 30-year bonds - 12:20 (CA) Bank of Canada Dep Gov Longworth - 12:30 (MX) Mexico bond auction - 12:45 Fed's Plosser - 14:00 (US) FOMC minutes from Jan 26th-27th policy meeting - 14:00 (US) Jan Monthly Budget Statement: -$46.0Be v -$63.5B prior - 16:30 (US) Crude Oil/Gasoline/Distillate Inventories
Legal disclaimer and risk disclosure
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.