***Economic Data*** - (GR) Greece Feb Current Account: -â‚¬3.3B v -â‚¬3.7B prior - (US) ICSC/GS weekly chain store sales w/w April 17th: +0.2% w/w, +4.6% y/y - (PD) Poland Mar Producer Prices M/M: 0.0% v -0.1%e; Y/Y: -2.4% v -2.8%e - (PD) Poland Mar Sold Industrial Output M/M: 18.9% v 18.2%e; Y/Y: 12.3% v 10.1%e - (BR) Brazil Apr IBGE CPI IPCA-15 M/M: 0.5% v 0.5%e - (US) Redbook Retail Sales w/e Apr 17th: +2.6% y/y; MTD -1.7% v Mar - (CA) Bank of Canada (BOC) leaves interest rates at unchanged at 0.25%; As expected but removed its pledge to maintain rates at current level through June. - (BR) Brazil Mar Tax Collections (BRL): 59.4B v 61.3Be
- US equity indices remain in positive territory despite the mixed brace of earnings reports seen yesterday evening and this morning. The focus is certainly on Goldman's $3.3B profit, nearly twice that seen last quarter, although major DJIA components IBM, Coca Cola and J&J are all in the red on disappointing quarterly reports. Front-month crude is up nearly two bucks, reversing the declines seen yesterday. Note that yesterday evening, Chicago Fed President Evans said the recession is "definitely over" and the odds of a "double-dip" are low, as the economy bottomed out last summer. This morning, the IMF warned that a new phase of the economic crisis could grow out the sovereign debt situation.
- Goldman blew quarterly earnings targets out of the water again. Note that the firm has met or beat expectations every quarter since early 2005. Revenue was substantially higher than expected. Among the firm's businesses, proprietary trading and investments accounted for more than $10B of the firm's reported $12.8B in revenue, up 60% over last quarter. The earnings conference was essentially a review of the SEC probe, during which Goldman's general council reiterated their position that the SEC's charges are groundless. Shares of GS are down one percent, while most of the rest of the major financial stocks are up one percent.
- Large regional banks US Bank and Regions Financial both came in more or less even with expectations. Regions noted that its charge-offs would peak by the end of Q2 and then decline, while US Bank's loss provisions are already starting to decline. Last night Zions Bank's quarterly loss was much smaller than expected. USB is up 1%, while Zion's is up 2.5%. RF is down 3%. Financial services names TD Ameritrade and State Street offered solid results, although AMTD's 2010 guidance was somewhat soft. AMTD is up, while State Street is off 5% and heading lower.
- Dow components IBM, Coca Cola and J&J are all in the red this morning on various sour notes in their earnings reports. IBM is down more than 2.5% despite topping estimates and raising its 2010 forecast; note that the firm's backlog fell slightly over last quarter, in a similar way that GE's smaller backlog spooked investors looking for top-line drivers last week. Johnson & Johnson was way ahead of expectations when taking into account a big one-time gain, while revenue was in line. The firm trimmed its 2010 outlook slightly and guided full-year revenue slightly below par, citing the effects of the healthcare reform. Coca Cola beat bottom-line targets but missed slightly on the top line. KO is down 1.5%.
- Swiss pharma Novartis beat the Street and reaffirmed its full year outlook, and commented that the impact of the US healthcare reform would be "manageable." Biotech giant Biogen Idec was slightly light of earnings expectations. Results at Forest Labs were solid, but the firm's 2011 outlook missed expectations.
- Among industrial names, Steel Dynamics was up as much as 4% just after the open after modestly exceeding analysts' top- and bottom line targets, although the name was in the red within the first 30 minutes of trade. STLD said it has a more stable and positive outlook for the coming quarter and second half of 2010. AK Steel opened underwater and fell to -7% before recovering a bit mid morning. The firm discussed uncertainty over iron ore pricing in its press release, noting that it would not be able to offer forward-looking guidance due to the iron ore issue.
- In currency trading, the Canadian Dollar surged following comments from the Bank of Canada, which removed its pledge to maintain interest rates at the 0.25% level through the end of Q2. USD/CAD dipped below parity in the aftermath of rate-hike expectations. Overall the dollar was mixed against the major pairs. The yen exhibited the most weakness in the New York session as a return of risk appetite coupled with stronger German ZEW and UK inflation data aided the European pairs.
***Looking Ahead*** - (US) Fed's Bernanke, US Tsy Geithner testify at House on Lehman Brothers - (EU) ECB's Weber - EIA energy inventories
Legal disclaimer and risk disclosure
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
Tue 17 July 2018 AA 08:30 GB- Employment A 13:15 US- Industrial Production AA 14:00 US-Powell Testimony Wed 18 July 2018 AA 08:30 GB- CPI A 12:30 US- Housing Starts/Permits AA 14:00 US-Powell Testimony Thu 19 July 2018 AA 1:30 AU- Employment AA 08:30 GB- Retail Sales A 14:30 US- EIA Crude A 12:30 US- Weekly Jobless Fri 20 Jun 2018 A 12:30 CA- CPI/Retail Sales
John M. Bland, MBA co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
Global-View Affiliate Program
We are starting an affiliate program to market some of our products.
Send me an email if you would be interested or if you know someone who would like to be an affiliate. Generous commissions payout for those accepted.
Put the word "affiliate" in the email subject line.
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.