European Market Update: China's currency pledge aids risk appetite (Trade the News)
Monday, June 21, 2010
European Market Update: China's currency pledge aids risk appetite
***Economic Data*** - (JP) Japan May Tokyo Department Store Sales Y/Y: -1.8% v -4.9% prior; Nationwide Dept. Store Sales Y/Y: -2.1% v -3.7% prior - (SZ) Swiss May M3 Money Supply Y/Y: 7.1% v 5.4% prior - (JP) Japan May Convenience Store sales Y/Y: -3.2% v -3.7% prior - (TT) Taiwan May Exports Orders Y/Y: 34.0% v 37.9%e - (IT) Italy May Non-EU Trade Balance Y/Y: -â‚¬1.4B v â‚¬465M prior - (IC) Iceland May Wage Index M/M: 0.2% v 0.1% prior; Y/Y: 4.0% v 4.0% prior - (IT) Italy Apr Current Account: -â‚¬3.8B v -â‚¬5.3B prior
*** SPEAKERS/FIXED INCOME/FX/COMMODITIES/ERRATUM *** - Equities: European equities opened the session sharply higher, tracking the gains seen in Asia after China said that it would increase the flexibility of its yuan currency. The move by China was aiding risk appetite and indicated that China saw a more sustainable global economic recovery compared to their prior view of a 'fragile' global growth. Today's gains have been led by commodity related shares on speculation that a stronger yuan would increase Chinese demand for resource. Today's gains have also been supported by financials on speculation that the release of the EU bank stress tests could lead to greater transparency in the sector. Euro Stoxx 50 Index +1.4% at 2,775; DAX Index +1.3% at 6,297; CAC-40 Index +1.6% at 3,745 and FTSE 100 Index +1.0% at 5,305.
- In Individual Stocks: Akza Nobel [AKZA.NV]: Sold National Starch to Corn Product for $1.3B. On a cash basis, the transaction is expected to be accretive by the end of 2011. ||Subsea 7 [SUB.NO]: Entered into agreement to merge with Acergy. Under the terms of the agreement, Subsea 7 common shareholders will receive 1.065 Acergy common shares for every Subsea 7 common share. Completion is anticipated towards the end of 2010 or Q1 2011|| Balfour Betty [BBY.UK] was appointed as a preferred bidder by the DerbyCity for its BuildingSchool project. The contract is valued at Â£231M. The work is expected to be complete by 2014. ||BHP Billiton [BHP.AU]: Reached agreement with West Australia to amend royalty rates for iron ore. Royalty rates will increase from 3.75% of sales revenue to 5.625% for Fines and from 3.25% to 5.0% for Beneficiated Ore.|| Valeant Pharmaceuticals [VRX]: Entered into an agreement to merge with Biovail. Under the terms of the agreement, Valeant stockholders will receive a one-time special cash dividend of $16.77 per share immediately prior to closing of the merger and 1.7809 shares of Biovail common stock. Transaction is expected to be cash EPS accretive to both companies.
- Speakers: German Finance Ministry released its May Report and stated that the month's Total Tax revenue came in at â‚¬38.2B, +1.6% y/y while Federal Tax revenues were â‚¬18.3B, -0.3% y/y. It guides 2010 Federal Net Borrowing around â‚¬65B; Federal Structural Deficit around â‚¬53B. The German economic recovery was strengthening, but little momentum for private consumption. The MOF reiterated the view that Q2 GDP growth 'markedly higher' than prior quarter. *** SNB stated that its May FX Investments M/M: CHF239B v CHF153B prior. ***ECB's Wellink commented that it was a positive phenomenon that the euro decline had been curbed. ECB to purchase Gov't bonds as long as monetary policy transmission needed. Austerity measures could impact growth in the short-term but was a positive factor in the long run. Spain needed more measures to prevent further problems but reiterated the view that Greece was on track with their austerity program. Bank Stress Test analysis to include "What if" analysis and include sovereign scenarios ***ECB Liikanen commented that he saw more political support growing to enforce Maastricht Stability Pact and that it needed tools to prevent public and private from over borrowing. He added that no country has been unaffected by the economic crisis. *** ECB's Noyer stated that the Euro System covered bond purchase program was nearly complete and was useful to support bank lending. He noted that market tensions and risk premiums have increased in recent weeks and could impact financial stability and the real economy. Tension could only abate through rigorous budget discipline *** ECB's Provopoulos stated that the Euro system was buying securities due to the fact that it does not consider the possibilities of a Greek default ***Japan PM Kan reiterated the view that tax reform was necessary for strong fiscal policy and that Japan would seek a primary balance surplus by 2020. He noted that the primary focus of upcoming G20 Summit in Canada would be on European fiscal problems. *** Japan Debt Chief Kaizuka stated that it saw FY11 issuance at Â¥162T and that this represented 'heavy burden' on markets. He added that favorable funding situation cannot last forever and that the new administration was committed to fiscal consolidation. -He added that the government's new growth targets were 'very ambitious'. Lastly he noted that the agency intended to prolong average maturity on new issues *** Bank of Italy commented that under Italy's tax amnesty program around â‚¬97B had been declared between September and April period *** World Gold Council stated that 2010 Gold demand was expected to be strong driven by growing demand for jewelry in China and India and coupled continued with concerns of economic instability, sovereign risk. ***China's Vice Commerce Min commented that the Yuan reform would be gradual and controllable and reiterated that the currency issue was China's own affair
- Currencies/Fixed Income: European currencies were holding steady but off their best levels after making multi-week highs against the dollar in early Asia-Pacific price action. The European dealers believed that the PBoC currency pledge was 'well timed' to head off criticism ahead of the June 26th/27th G20 summit in Canada and actually might have succeeded in removing the yuan's valuation from debate. Dealers keenly pointed out that China's willingness to accept a stronger CNY resulted in a weaker CNY across the board against everything except USD. The USD/CNY dipped below the 6.80 level compared to the 6.8275 fixing rate by PBoC earlier today. EUR/USD holding around the 1.24 handle through the session but off its 1.2467 highs seen just ahead of the European equity open. Overall dealers continue to believe that Euro needs to be sold on rallies but conceded that a retracement back towards 1.30 could not be ruled out in the current environment. The JPY was softer against the major pairs with USD/JPY testing 91. Despite the euphoric in the global equity markets, spot gold hit fresh all-time highs testing above $1,265/oz.
- Geo-Political: The Polish presidential elections are to be extended as the leading candidate was unable to claim a majority thus continuing a second round of voting. Though various polling data indicate that interim president Komorowski was in the lead, he may still be below the 50% needed for outright victory. A runoff appears likely to continue on Sunday, the 4th of July. *** Russian President Medvedev notified Gazprom to shut natural gas supplies to Belarus due to outstanding payments confirming prior speculation. It was reported back on the 20th of June that Gazprom's CEO affirmed cuts for Belarus may be coming Monday following recent failed gas discussions. *** Former Bank of England member Blanchflower commented today that a UK double dip recession is 'absolutely certain', further reiterating that UK needs a sensible plan to reduce its deficit.
- In the papers: In the UK, Unite Union is planning for a possible third strike tomorrow. According to the Guardian, Unite is expected to notify British Airways of a new ballot of 11,000 members. Unite are in preparation for vote that may be sent to British Airways as early as tomorrow, which would allow voting in a week. If strikes are to occur, actions may begin as soon as 3rd of August depending on voting results by flight attendants. *** In a London Telegraph article by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, it was noted that gold is reclaiming a historic role as safe haven and benchmark currency, citing recent demand in gold related to sovereign concerns. He goes on to comment how the World Gold Council recently stated that central banks in Russia, the Philippines, Kazakhstan and Venezuela have been buying gold, in addition to the Saudi Arabian central bank restating its reserves of gold higher from 143M tons to 323M tons.
***Notes/Observations: - Preposition ahead of the Jun 26th-27th G20 Summit in Canada; USD reserve status back on the table via BRIC members - China signals end to currency peg ahead of G20. - China keeps CNY rate unchanged against the USD in session surprising markets after announcing it was unhitching the peg. - Russia's Medvedev backs CNY, INR, and RUB as alternatives to USD as reserve currencies. - ECB's Trichet: Reiterates view that Euro is a very credible currency - Spot Gold hits fresh all-time highs above $1,265/oz - Several European auto companies announce bond offerigs
***Looking Ahead*** - (PD) Poland May Producer Prices M/M: 1.6% v 0.6%e; Y/Y: 1.5% v 0.5%e - (PD) Poland May Sold Industrial Output M/M: 2.0% v -3.4%e; Y/Y: 14.0% v 7.9%e - (RU) Russia May retail sales M/M: 2.1% v 1.7%e; Y/Y: 5.1% v 4.5%e - (CA) Canada May Leading Indicators M/M: 0.9% v 0.7%e - (CA) Canada Apr Intl Securities Transactions: C$12.4B v C$2.5Be - (BE) Belgium Jun Consumer Confidence: v -13.0 prior - (MX) Mexico Apr Retail Sales: 3.5%e v 2.3% prior - (MX) Mexico Central bank Interest rate Decision: Expected to leave the Overnight Rate Unchanged at 4.50%
Legal disclaimer and risk disclosure
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.