***Economic Data*** - (US) MBA Mortgage Applications w/e Aug 6th: 0.6% v 1.3% prior - (SA) South Africa Jun Manufacturing Production M/M: +0.7% v -0.6%; Y/Y: 8.8% v 6.7%e - (RU) Russia Q2 Advance GDP Y/Y: 5.2% v 5.7%e - (NO) Norway Central Bank (Norges) maintained the Deposit Rates unchanged at 2.00%; as expected - (BR) Brazil Jun Retail Sales M/M: 1.0% v 0.5%e; Y/Y: 11.3% v 10.2%e - (PD) Poland Jun Current Account: -â‚¬1.0B v -â‚¬765Me; Trade Balance: -â‚¬287M v -â‚¬480Me - (US) Jun Trade Balance: -$49.9B v -$42.1Be - (CA) Canada Jun Int'l Merchandise Trade: -C$1.1B v -C$300Me - (MX) Mexico Jun Industrial Production Y/Y: 8.4% v 8.4%e - (US) Weekly DOE inventories: Crude: -2.9M v -2Me; Gasoline: +400K v +500Ke; Distillate: +3.5M v +1.7Me; Utilization: 88.1% v 90.7%e
- The voice of the FOMC has been reverberating throughout global markets since yesterday afternoon, with big moves being seen across all asset classes. US equity indices are on the lows in mid morning trade, while the USD, CHF and JPY are firming against other European counterparts and commodity-related pairs. Note also that the dollar tested 15-year lows against the yen earlier this morning, following some commentary out of an influential Chinese think tank. Yields on US Treasuries and other G7 government bonds are down sharply as investors seek safe haven. The June US trade deficit data out this morning is adding to worries; the trade deficit widened by almost 20% m/m to approach the $50B level, for the biggest gap since Oct 2008. According to some measures, the data implies that Q2 US GDP would have to be revised to below 1.5% from the initial 2.4% reading. Sept crude is down nearly $1.50, trading around $78.50. Dec gold is around $1,205. Also weighing on investors nerves is dealer chatter that the ECB elected to use a USD liquidity swap line to purchase sovereign short-term paper for the first time in more than two months.
- Disney beat top- and bottom-line expectations in its Q3 report, with strong y/y revenue growth seen in the firm's media and studio entertainment divisions. In addition, Disney said that bookings at its theme parks have recovered strongly from the same period a year ago. Earnings in Macy's Q2 were above consensus and the firm raised its 2010 earnings outlook modestly. The company again bumped up its view for full-year comps slightly, to +4.0-4.2%. Computer component distributor Avnet was a bit ahead of analysts' expectations slightly in its Q4 report, while its outlook for next quarter was above par. Executives commented that bookings remain strong, and the book to bill ratio indicates that supply has still not caught up with demand throughout the tech industry.
- Solar wafer manufacturer LDK Solar crushed expectations in its Q2, while solar panel maker SunPower beat earnings targets (revenue was a bit behind consensus). LDK's guidance for Q3 was very strong, and the firm sees continued growth in the current quarter. SunPower's CEO said he expects a shift towards a buyer's market for solar panels starting as soon as early 2011. Shares of LDK are down 3%, while shares of SPWRA are around even.
- In other news, AIG reached a deal to sell 80% of its American General Finance unit to Fortress Investment Group. The purchase price was not disclosed, although sources noted Fortress paid a "small fraction" of the unit's equity value. AIG is down 2.5%, while FIG is down 3%. Shares of Aflac are around even after the firm raised its dividend by 7% and resumed share buybacks for the first time since late 2008.
- In currency trading, EUR/USD dropped well below the 1.30 level for the first time in the month of August while EUR/CHF probed the lower end of the 1.36 handle. There was continued dealer discussion on possible ECB purchases of sovereign debt with Irish two-year paper mentioned after the Bank of Ireland (BKIR.UK) widened its loan loss provisions, which corresponded with the ECB allotting dollars liquidity swap line earlier today for the first time in 10 weeks for two (unnamed) European banks.
- The yen got a verbal boost from an influential official at the ChinaAcademy of Social Sciences. CASS deputy chief researcher Zhang Ming observed that Japanese government debt was "more stable" than US Treasuries. The official added that the yen would remain strong against the dollar in the short term. Ming's commentary sent the USD/JPY to 15-year lows and below the pivotal 85.00 level.
***Looking Ahead*** - (US) July Monthly Budget Statement: -$169.0Be v -$180.7B prior
Legal disclaimer and risk disclosure
All information provided by Trade The News (a product of Trade The News, Inc. "referred to as TTN hereafter") is for informational purposes only. Information provided is not meant as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to Buy or Sell securities. Although information is taken from sources deemed reliable, no guarantees or assurances can be made to the accuracy of any information provided. 1. Information can be inaccurate and/or incomplete 2. Information can be mistakenly re-released or be delayed, 3. Information may be incorrect, misread, misinterpreted or misunderstood 4. Human error is a business risk you are willing to assume 5. Technology can crash or be interrupted without notice 6. Trading decisions are the responsibility of traders, not those providing additional information. Trade The News is not liable (financial and/or non-financial) for any losses that may arise from any information provided by TTN. Trading securities involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses can and do occur on a regular basis and are part of the risk of trading and investing.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.