TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Markets Turn Risk Averse Ahead of FOMC Minutes
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Markets Turn Risk Averse Ahead of FOMC Minutes
***Economic Data*** - (DE) Germany Jan CPI Bavaria M/M: -0.6% v +0.9% prior; Y/Y: 1.7% v 2.2% prior - (BR) Brazil Dec Economic Activity index M/M: 0.3% v 0.4%e; Y/Y: 1.2% v 1.4%e - (US) MBA Mortgage Applications w/e Feb 15th: -1.7% v -6.4% prior - (US) ICSC/GS weekly chain store sales w/e Feb 16th w/w: +2.7%; y/y: 1.8% - (US) Jan Housing Starts: 890K v 920Ke; Building Permits: 925K v 920Ke - (US) Jan Producer Price Index M/M: 0.2% v 0.3%e; Y/Y: 1.4% v 1.5%e - (US) Jan PPI Ex Food & Energy M/M: 0.2% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 1.8% v 1.7%e - (US) Redbook Retail Sales w/e Feb 17th: +3.1% y/y prior; Feb MTD: +1.5% m/m prior; Feb MTD: +2.8% y/y - (CA) Canada Jan Teranet/National Bank HPI M/M: -0.3% V -0.2%e; Y/Y: +2.7% v 2.9%; House Price Index: 153.00 v 153.45 prior - (EU) Euro Zone Feb Advanced Consumer Confidence: -23.6 v -23.2e
- Risk is off the table this morning following another round of record highs in US equity markets. Yesterday the DJIA and the S&P500 closed at fresh five-year highs, while the Nasdaq closed at a 12-year high. Traders are positioning themselves ahead of the release of the FOMC minutes later this afternoon. Spot gold took another tumble through the European session, dropping 1.5% from $1,600 to around $1,580.
- The January housing starts data missed expectations, while building permits were in line. The permits figure is the highest since June 2008. Analysts note that the dip in starts was due mainly to a decline in multi-family units, while other starts were strong. Recall that yesterday the softness in the NAHB housing market index suggested some leveling off of the current return to strength in the US housing market.
- The greenback maintained a firmer tone in the US session, as FX dealers pointed toward fading risk appetite. Many analysts were surprised to hear German Chancellor Merkel actually identify a target range for the euro. Merkel said that EUR/USD between 1.30 to 1.40 was "normal" and said that the government had limited tools for boosting domestic demand. The pound was consolidating after falling sharply in the wake of the Bank of England's policy meeting, where members indicated support for more stimulus spending to boost the UK economy.
- After some early morning confusion, it was made clear that Office Depot and smaller rival OfficeMax will merge in a $1.2B all-stock deal. OfficeMax shareholders will get 2.69 ODP shares for each share they own, valuing the company at $13.50/shr, in a deal worth $1.17B. Note that earlier in the session, Office Depot posted an earnings press release to its website that included details of the deal. It later pulled that statement down, claiming it was a draft and that the deal was not yet done.
- Shares of Harvest Natural are down more than 30% after the deal to sell off its Venezuela assets to Indonesia's state-owned PT Pertamina for $725M fell apart.
- Shares of Joy Global rose more than 6% on rumors that a deal was in the works to take out the company. Swedish firm Atlas Copco was fingered as one party to the deal, although comments from the company seemed to eliminate that possibility. When asked about the rumors, a Joy exec commented that "rumors come and go."
- Various other unconfirmed rumors are moving stocks today. JCPenny rose as much as 5% on reports that the firm's January sales comps came in about flat, which would be a huge improvement over recent performance. Meanwhile Safeway is under pressure following rumors Carl Icahn was setting his sights on the firm.
- La-Z-Boy crushed earnings and revenue expectations in its Q3 report and saw very strong sales comps. Executives said the brightening outlook for the housing market made them optimistic about Q4. Shares of LZB are +14%.
- Shares of Demand Media are up nearly 12% on decent earnings and chatter the firm was exploring separating into two separate publically traded companies.
***Looking Ahead*** - 11:30 (US) Treasury to sell 4-Week Bills - 11:45 (DE) German Chancellor Merkel visits Oslo for talks with PM Stoltenberg - 14:00 (US) Fed releases minutes from Jan 29-30 FOMC Meeting - 16:00 (CO) Colombia Dec Trade Balance: +$306.0Me v -$183.2M prior; Imports CIF: No est v $5.2B prior - 16:30 (US) Weekly API U.S. Crude Oil Inventories
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.