Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Risk Back On Following H-P, European Rally TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Risk Back On Following H-P, European Rally
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:01 AM EST
- (IT) Italy Dec Retail Sales M/M: +0.2% v -0.6%e; Y/Y: -3.8% v -3.2%e
- (IN) India Forex Reserves w/e Feb 9th: $293.5B v $294.5B prior
- (BR) Brazil Feb IBGE CPI IPCA-15 M/M: 0.7% v 0.6%e
- (TR) Turkey Feb Industrial Confidence: 107.5 v 102.1 prior; Capacity Utilization: 72.2% v 72.4% prior
- (CA) Canada Jan Consumer Price Index M/M: 0.1% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 0.5% v 0.6%e; Consumer Price Index: 121.1 v 121.5e
- (CA) Canada Jan CPI Core M/M: 0.1% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 1.0% v 1.0%e
- (CA) Canada Dec Retail Sales M/M: -2.1% v -0.3%e; Retail Sales Less Autos M/M: -0.9% v +0.2%e
- (BR) Brazil Jan Current Account: -$11.4B v -$9.7Be; Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): $3.7B v $4.9Be
- (BE) Belgium Feb Business Confidence: -11.0 v -12.0e
- (MX) Mexico Jan Unemployment Rate: 5.4% v 5.0%e
- Yesterday's hiccup of risk aversion is forgotten today as the European equity rally on lighter-than-expected LTRO repayments plus solid gains in tech thanks to H-P are driving things higher. The DJIA is up 0.39%, the S&P500 is up 0.35% and the tech-heavy Nasdaq is up 0.43%.
- The euro plunged to six-week lows after the LTRO repayment announcement. Banks repaid €61.1B, which was below expectations of €130B. USD/CAD tested above the 1.0225 level after CPI and retail sales data came in light. Thi was the weakest level for CAD since last July.
- Investors are applauding Hewlett-Packard's surprisingly positive Q1 results. The firm topped consensus earnings and revenue expectations and its guidance for Q2 was strong. Multiple analysts raised ratings and PTs on the name overnight. Nevertheless, the firm continues to bleed revenue; on CNBC, CEO Whitman said that revenue would only return to growth in 2014. Shares of HPQ are up 10%.
- Newly-minted hedge fund darling AIG is up nearly 4% this morning after reporting earnings. On an operating basis, the firm widely beat expectations, however that is before factoring in the firm's $4B quarterly losss from the sale of ILFC and the Sandy storm impact.
- Abercrombie & Fitch is getting hammered today after earnings. The firm's Q4 performance met expectations and it raised the dividend 14%, however comps are still sliding lower and the firm's initial FY13 guidance was weighed down by a new method of accounting for inventory. In addition, its Q1 outlook was very weak. ANF is down 7.5%.
- Darden Restaurants offered very soft guidance halfway through its Q3. The firm's outlook for the quarter was terrible and it cut its FY13 forecast. The firm warned that prominent headwinds from "increased payroll taxes and rising gasoline prices put meaningful pressure on the discretionary purchasing power of our guests." Counterintuitively, DRI is up 3% on the news.
- (PT) Portugal releases Year-to-Date Budget Report
- (PE) Peru Q4 GDP Y/Y: 6.4%e v 6.5% prior
- (CO) Colombia Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to cut Overnight Lending Rate by 25bps to 3.75%
- 11:00 (US) Fed to purchase $1.25-1.75B in Notes
- 15:00 (IT) Italy PM candidate press conferences
- 16:00 (CO) Colombia Dec Retail Sales Y/Y: 3.9%e v 6.7% prior
- 16:00 (CO) Colombia Dec Industrial Production Y/Y: -2.3%e v -4.1% prior
- 18:30 (US) Fed's Tarullo speaks on regulations in NY
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Upgrade Your Trading experience. Try the Amazing Trader
- Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
- Live trading strategy sessions.
- Market Updates with Trading Tools.
Trading Ideas for 15 January 2018
Upgrade Your Trading. Try The Amazing Trader
Amazing Trader EVENT RISK Calendar:
Mon 15 Jan 2018
00:00 US- Holiday
Tue 16 Jan 2018
09:00 GB- CPI
20:00 US- Beige Book
Wed 17 Jan 2018
00:30 AU- Employment
02:00 CN- GDP
10:00 EZ- final HICP
14:15 US- Industrial Production
15:00 CA- Bank of Canada Decision
Thu 17 Jan 2018
13:30 US- Weekly Jobless
13:30 US- Housing Starts/Permits
16:00 US- EIA Crude
Fri 18 Jan 2018
09:30 GB- Retail Sales
15:00 US- University of Michigan (prelim) Survey
PROSPECTIVE Trading Opportunities
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Tue -- 09:30 GMT-- GB- CPI
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Wed -- 00:30 GMT-- AU- Employment
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium- Wed -- 10:00 GMT-- EZ- Final HICP
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH to Medium- Wed --14:15 GMT-- US- Industrial Production
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH- Wed -- 15:00 GMT-- CA- Bank Of Canada Decision
John M. Bland, MBA
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
Max McKegg's Daily Forex Trading Forecasts
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
Request a TRIAL of Max's Forex Service.