TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Modest Risk Appetite Continues Ahead of Feb Jobs Report
Thursday, March 07, 2013
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Modest Risk Appetite Continues Ahead of Feb Jobs Report
***Economic Data*** - (ZA) South Africa Jan Electricity Consumption Y/Y: -3.0% v -3.8% prior; Electricity Production Y/Y: -4.1% v -2.8% prior - (DE) Germany Jan Factory Orders M/M: -1.9% v +0.6%e; Y/Y: -3.3% v +1.6%e - (IE) Ireland Jan Industrial Production M/M: -1.1% v 4.9% prior; Y/Y: -3.3% v -0.5% prior - (CL) Chile Feb Trade Balance: $68M v $500.0Me; Total Exports: $5.9B v $.6B prior; Total Imports: $5.9B $6.7B prior - (CL) Chile Feb Copper Exports: $3.2B v $3.5b prior - (UK) Bank Of England (BOE) left both Interest Rates and Asset Purchase Target unchanged at 0.50% and £375B respectively, as expected - (BR) Brazil Jan Industrial Production M/M: 2.5% v 1.6%e; Y/Y: 5.7% v 4.6%e - (US) Feb Challenger Job Cuts: 55.4K v 40.4K prior;Y/Y: +7.0% v -24.4% prior - (US) Mar RBC Consumer Outlook Index: 47.1 v 49.5 prior - (EU) ECB leaves Main 7-day Refi rate unchanged at 0.75%, as expected - (PL) Poland Feb Total Official Reserves: $107.1B v $108.0B prior - (US) Jan Trade Balance: -$44.4B v -$42.6Be - (US) Initial Jobless Claims: 340K v 355Ke; Continuing Claims: 3.094M v 3.120Me - (US) Q4 Final Nonfarm Productivity: -1.9% v -1.6%e; Unit Labor Costs: 4.6% v 4.3%e - (CA) Canada Jan Building Permits M/M: 1.7% v +5.3%e - (CA) Canada Jan Int'l Merchandise Trade: -C$0.2B v -C$0.6Be - (MX) Mexico Feb Consumer Prices M/M: 0.5% v 0.5%e; Y/Y: 3.6% v 3.6%e; Core CPI M/M: 0.5% v 0.5%e
- US equity markets are sustaining modest gains this morning ahead of Friday's February jobs report. The weekly payroll report, combined with last week's numbers, suggest even more labor market improvements, somewhat boosting confidence. In Washington, it looks like a continuing resolution will be passed, eliminating the risk of a government shutdown this spring. The DJIA is up 0.31%, the S&P500 are up 0.17% while the Nasdaq is up 0.22%.
- There were no surprises in either the BoE or the ECB rate decisions. Sterling moved higher following the decision, with GBP/USD rising from 1.4990 to test above 1.5070. There was no increase in QE, although the sterling price action suggested bets were the other way. The euro gained as ECB Chief Draghi held his press conference. Analysts felt his opening remarks were a bit less dovish, as he omitted any mention of euro appreciation as a growth risk. The ECB Staff Projections saw only a modest tweak and were not nearly as bad as anticipated. Some feel that the prospects for near-term ECB rate cut are now entirely off the table.
- Navistar's shares are up a whopping 25% this morning, their biggest one-day gain in years, after the firm named a new CEO. The firm's Q4 report showed that the company has managed to staunch the bleeding and is losing less money.
- Dell is flat this morning after the big run-up yesterday afternoon. The company responded to Carl Icahn's assertion that the firm needs to pursue a leveraged recapitalization, confirming that it is still assessing alternative transactions to the Michael Dell/Silver Lake $13.65/shr takeout.
- The big US financial names are in the black this morning, with BAC leading the pack up 2.5%. The Fed will disclose the first part of its annual Dodd Frank SIFI bank capital review today, namely results from its stress tests. A week from now, it will release the results of its Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR). Both will be used to potentially authorize higher returns of capital to shareholders.
- Shares of mortgage insurance name MGIC Investment are down 9% after the firm launched big concurrent debt and equity sales.
- Colgate gained in the premarket after boosting the dividend and announcing a 2-1 reverse stock split, however CL has given up gains in cash trading.
- The Gap's February same-store sales numbers were disclosed on the company's website earlier than scheduled this morning, prompting a 4% gain in the company's stock.
- Other February sales comps were mixed, although at this point the number of companies disclosing monthly comps is rapidly shrinking. Costco's comps were much better than expected and The Limited met expectations.
- In M&A news, teen retailer Hot Topic said it had agreed to be acquired by Sycamore Partners for $14.00/share cash in $600M deal. This is a 30% premium to its prior close.
***Looking Ahead*** - 12:00 (US) Q4 Net House Hold change: No est v $1.722T prior - 15:00 (US) Jan Consumer Credit: $14.7Be v $14.6B prior - 18:00 (PE) Peru Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to leave Reference Rate unchanged at 4.25% - 18:50 (JP) Japan Q4 Final GDP Annualized: -0.3%e v -0.4% prelim - 18:50 (JP) Japan Jan Trade and Current Account balances
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Forex News Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
Mon 12 Nov 2018 AA CA/US Holiday Tue 13 Nov 2018 AA 09:30 GB- Employment A 09:00 DE- ZEW Survey Wed 14 Nov 2018 AA 09:30 GB- CPI AA 09:30 EZ- GDP A 14:30 US- EIA Crude Thu 15 Nov 2018 A 01:30 AU- Employment AA 09:30 GB- Retail Sales A 12:30 US- Weekly Jobless Fri 16 Nov 2018 AA 10:00 EZ- Final HICP A 14:15 US- Ind Prod/Cap Util
John M. Bland, MBA co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
Global-View Affiliate Program
We are starting an affiliate program to market some of our products.
Send me an email if you would be interested or if you know someone who would like to be an affiliate. Generous commissions payout for those accepted.
Put the word "affiliate" in the email subject line.
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are
more critical things to consider than you might have thought.
We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View
has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've
seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.
The Global-View Forex Forum is the hub for currency trading on the web. Founded in 1996, it was the original forex forum and is still the place where forex traders around the globe come 24/7 looking for currency trading ideas, breaking forex news, fx trading rumors, fx flows and more. This is where you can find a full suite of forex trading tools, including a complete fx database, forex chart points, live currency rates, and live fx charts. In addition, there is a forex brokers directory where you can compare forex brokers. There is also a forex brokers hotline where you can ask for help choosing a forex broker that meets your individual fx trading needs. Interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading.
The forex forum is where traders come to discuss the forex market. It is one of the few places where forex traders of all levels of experience, from novice to professionals, interact on the same venue to discuss forex trading. There is also the GVI Forex, which is a private subscription service where professional and experienced currency traders meet in a private forex forum. it is like a virtual forex trading room. This is open to forex traders of all levels of experience to view but only experienced currency tradingprofessionals can post.
Currency trading charts are updated daily using the forex trading ranges posted in the Global-View forex database. You will also find technical indicators on the fx trading charts, e.g. moving averages for currencies such as the EURUSD. This is another forex trading tool provided by Global-View.com.
The forex database can be used to access high, low, close daily forex ranges for key currency pairs, such as the EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, USDCAD, AUD, NZD and major crosses, including EURJPY, EURGBP, EURCHF, GBPJPY, GBPCHF and CHFJPY. Data for these currency trading pairs dating back to January 1, 1999 can be downloaded to an Excel spreadsheet.
Forex chart points are in a currency trading table that includes; latest fx tradinghigh-low-close range, Bollinger Bands, Fibonacci retracement levels, daily forex pivot points support and resistance levels, average daily forex range, MACD for the different currency trading pairs. You can look on the forex forum for updates when one of the fx trading tools is updated.
Global-View also offers a full fx trading chart gallery that includes fx pairs, such as the EURUSD, commodities, stocks and bonds. In a fx trading world where markets are integrated, the chart gallery is a valuable trading tool. Look for updates on the Forex Forum when the chart gallery is updated.
Global-View.com also offers a forex blog, where articles of interest for currency trading are posted throughout the day. The forex blog articles come from outside sources, including forex brokers research as well as from the professionals at Global-View.com. This forex blog includes the Daily Forex View, Market Chatter and technical forex blog updates. In additional to its real time forex forum, there are also Member Forums available for more in depth forex trading discussions.
WARNING: FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRADING AND INVESTMENT IN DERIVATIVES
CAN BE VERY SPECULATIVE AND MAY RESULT IN LOSSES AS WELL AS PROFITS. FOREIGN
EXCHANGE AND DERIVATIVES TRADING IS NOT SUITABLE FOR MANY MEMBERS OF THE
PUBLIC AND ONLY RISK CAPITAL SHOULD BE APPLIED. THE WEBSITE DOES NOT TAKE
INTO ACCOUNT SPECIAL INVESTMENT GOALS, THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OR SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF INDIVIDUAL USERS. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY CONSIDER YOUR FINANCIAL
SITUATION AND CONSULT YOUR FINANCIAL ADVISORS AS TO THE SUITABILITY TO YOUR
SITUATION PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTIONS.