Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Nikkei Back in Bear Market Territory, US up on Decent Data TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Nikkei Back in Bear Market Territory, US up on Decent Data
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:21 AM EST
- (IE) Ireland May CPI M/M: -0.1% v 0.0% prior; Y/Y: 0.4% v 0.5% prior
- (IE) Ireland May CPI EU Harmonized M/M: 0.0% v -0.1% prior; Y/Y: 0.4% v 0.5% prior
- (IL) Israel Q1 Current Account: $1.8B v $0.5B prior
- (EU) OECD G20 Q1 GDP Q/Q: 0.7% v 0.6% prior
- (RU) Russia Gold & Forex Reserve w/e Jun 7th: $515.8B v $518.4B prior
- (BR) Brazil Apr Retail Sales M/M: 0.5% v 1.2%e; Y/Y: 1.6% v 3.4%e; Broad Retail Sales Y/Y: 9.1% v 9.1%e
- (PL) Poland May CPI M/M: -0.1% v +0.1%e; Y/Y: 0.5% v 0.8%e
- (US) May Advance Retail Sales: 0.6% v 0.4%e; Retail Sales Less Autos: 0.3% v 0.3%e; Retail Sales Ex Auto & Gas: 0.3% v 0.3%e
- (US) Initial Jobless Claims: 334K v 346Ke; Continuing Claims: 2.973M v 2.978Me
- (US) May Import Price Index M/M: -0.6% v 0.0%e; Y/Y: -1.9% v -1.4%e
- (CA) Canada Q1 Capacity Utilization Rate: 81.1% v 81.5%e
- (CA) Canada Apr New Housing Price Index M/M: 0.2% v 0.1%e; Y/Y: 2.0% v 1.9%e
- (US) Apr Business Inventories: 0.3% v 0.2%e
- The Nikkei225 took another huge tumble overnight, closing down 6.4% after Chinese investors came back from a three-day holiday. The sharp decline matches all of last week's losses and puts the Nikkei right back in bear market territory off the May highs. Most European indices started off the session down one percent or more, but have shrugged off the Asian volatility to trade into the black. As of writing the DJIA is up %, the S&P500 is up and the Nasdaq has gained %.
- The US data out this morning helps support the thesis of a gradual economic recovery, paving the way for the Fed taper. The May retail sales report was slightly better than expected and the April numbers were revised slightly higher. The initial jobless claims were a bit below expectations, dropping the four-week MA for new claims to 345.25K v 352.50K prior. All the inventory data came in right in line, and analysts suggested that inventories would have a neutral GDP contribution in Q2.
- The yen has only gotten stronger with the ongoing correction in the Nikkei225. USD/JPY bounced off two-month lows just below the 94 handle in the early morning hours and has traded sideways since then. Euro strength peaked after the German Wholesale Prices data after 02.:00ET overnight, with EUR/USD trading as low as 1.3280 this morning. An IMF report expressing concern about Portugal sent the pair right back toward 1.3350.
- The June quarter earnings season is fast approaching; two big names were out with guidance this morning. DuPont cut its outlook for the first half and full year, warning that unseasonably cool and wet weather in North America and Europe has impacted ag segment revenue and costs. Shares of DD are down slightly. Meanwhile reliable guider Nucor's Q2 outlook was sub-par (as usual), although LIFO charges were null for the quarter. Earnings were instead impaired by impairment charges from a JV. NUE is up nearly 3% thanks to the absence of LIFO charges, while competitor AKS is up more than 3%.
- Newspaper and broadcasting conglomerate Gannett is buying local television firm Belo Corp for $1.5 billion, or $13.75/shr in cash, a 28% premium to the prior close. The deal would double Gannett's broadcasting holdings, making it the fourth-largest US owner of network affiliates. Shares of GCI are up 25% on the news, at five-year highs.
- 11:30 (EU) ECB's Coeure (France) speaks in Berlin
- 12:00 (DE) German Chancellor Merkel at IHK Trade Chambers
- 12:00 (IS) Iceland May International Reserves (ISK): No est v 480B prior
- 13:00 (DE) ECB's Weidmann (Germany) "crisis economics" speech in Munich
- 13:00 (US) Treasury to sell $13B in 30-Year Bonds Reopening
- 18:00 (CL) Chile Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to leave Nominal Overnight Rate Target unchanged at 5.00%
- 19:00 (PE) Peru Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to leave Reference Rate unchanged at 4.25%
- 19:50 (JP) Bank of Japan (BOJ) May 21-22 meeting minutes
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
GVI Trading. Potential Price Risk Scale
Mon 12 Nov 2018
AA: Major, A: High, B: Medium
AA CA/US Holiday
Tue 13 Nov 2018
AA 09:30 GB- Employment
A 09:00 DE- ZEW Survey
Wed 14 Nov 2018
AA 09:30 GB- CPI
AA 09:30 EZ- GDP
A 14:30 US- EIA Crude
Thu 15 Nov 2018
A 01:30 AU- Employment
AA 09:30 GB- Retail Sales
A 12:30 US- Weekly Jobless
Fri 16 Nov 2018
AA 10:00 EZ- Final HICP
A 14:15 US- Ind Prod/Cap Util
John M. Bland, MBA
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
Global-View Affiliate Program
We are starting an affiliate program to market some of our products.
Send me an email if you would be interested or if you know someone who would like to be an affiliate. Generous commissions payout for those accepted.
Put the word "affiliate" in the email subject line.
Start trading with forex broker Markets Cube
Max McKegg's Daily Forex Trading Forecasts
Veteran FX Trader, Max McKegg, forecasts all the Major currencies and the Australasians; providing Daily and Medium Term Trading forecasts to subscribers, who include large Banks the world over, as well as individual traders in more than 30 different countries.
Request a TRIAL of Max's Forex Service.