Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Nikkei Back in Bear Market Territory, US up on Decent Data TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Nikkei Back in Bear Market Territory, US up on Decent Data
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:21 AM EST
- (IE) Ireland May CPI M/M: -0.1% v 0.0% prior; Y/Y: 0.4% v 0.5% prior
- (IE) Ireland May CPI EU Harmonized M/M: 0.0% v -0.1% prior; Y/Y: 0.4% v 0.5% prior
- (IL) Israel Q1 Current Account: $1.8B v $0.5B prior
- (EU) OECD G20 Q1 GDP Q/Q: 0.7% v 0.6% prior
- (RU) Russia Gold & Forex Reserve w/e Jun 7th: $515.8B v $518.4B prior
- (BR) Brazil Apr Retail Sales M/M: 0.5% v 1.2%e; Y/Y: 1.6% v 3.4%e; Broad Retail Sales Y/Y: 9.1% v 9.1%e
- (PL) Poland May CPI M/M: -0.1% v +0.1%e; Y/Y: 0.5% v 0.8%e
- (US) May Advance Retail Sales: 0.6% v 0.4%e; Retail Sales Less Autos: 0.3% v 0.3%e; Retail Sales Ex Auto & Gas: 0.3% v 0.3%e
- (US) Initial Jobless Claims: 334K v 346Ke; Continuing Claims: 2.973M v 2.978Me
- (US) May Import Price Index M/M: -0.6% v 0.0%e; Y/Y: -1.9% v -1.4%e
- (CA) Canada Q1 Capacity Utilization Rate: 81.1% v 81.5%e
- (CA) Canada Apr New Housing Price Index M/M: 0.2% v 0.1%e; Y/Y: 2.0% v 1.9%e
- (US) Apr Business Inventories: 0.3% v 0.2%e
- The Nikkei225 took another huge tumble overnight, closing down 6.4% after Chinese investors came back from a three-day holiday. The sharp decline matches all of last week's losses and puts the Nikkei right back in bear market territory off the May highs. Most European indices started off the session down one percent or more, but have shrugged off the Asian volatility to trade into the black. As of writing the DJIA is up %, the S&P500 is up and the Nasdaq has gained %.
- The US data out this morning helps support the thesis of a gradual economic recovery, paving the way for the Fed taper. The May retail sales report was slightly better than expected and the April numbers were revised slightly higher. The initial jobless claims were a bit below expectations, dropping the four-week MA for new claims to 345.25K v 352.50K prior. All the inventory data came in right in line, and analysts suggested that inventories would have a neutral GDP contribution in Q2.
- The yen has only gotten stronger with the ongoing correction in the Nikkei225. USD/JPY bounced off two-month lows just below the 94 handle in the early morning hours and has traded sideways since then. Euro strength peaked after the German Wholesale Prices data after 02.:00ET overnight, with EUR/USD trading as low as 1.3280 this morning. An IMF report expressing concern about Portugal sent the pair right back toward 1.3350.
- The June quarter earnings season is fast approaching; two big names were out with guidance this morning. DuPont cut its outlook for the first half and full year, warning that unseasonably cool and wet weather in North America and Europe has impacted ag segment revenue and costs. Shares of DD are down slightly. Meanwhile reliable guider Nucor's Q2 outlook was sub-par (as usual), although LIFO charges were null for the quarter. Earnings were instead impaired by impairment charges from a JV. NUE is up nearly 3% thanks to the absence of LIFO charges, while competitor AKS is up more than 3%.
- Newspaper and broadcasting conglomerate Gannett is buying local television firm Belo Corp for $1.5 billion, or $13.75/shr in cash, a 28% premium to the prior close. The deal would double Gannett's broadcasting holdings, making it the fourth-largest US owner of network affiliates. Shares of GCI are up 25% on the news, at five-year highs.
- 11:30 (EU) ECB's Coeure (France) speaks in Berlin
- 12:00 (DE) German Chancellor Merkel at IHK Trade Chambers
- 12:00 (IS) Iceland May International Reserves (ISK): No est v 480B prior
- 13:00 (DE) ECB's Weidmann (Germany) "crisis economics" speech in Munich
- 13:00 (US) Treasury to sell $13B in 30-Year Bonds Reopening
- 18:00 (CL) Chile Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to leave Nominal Overnight Rate Target unchanged at 5.00%
- 19:00 (PE) Peru Central Bank Interest Rate Decision: Expected to leave Reference Rate unchanged at 4.25%
- 19:50 (JP) Bank of Japan (BOJ) May 21-22 meeting minutes
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Register To Test Your Amazing Trader
- Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
- Live trading strategy sessions.
- Market Updates with Trading Tools.
Trading Ideas for 20 November 2017
Register for the Amazing Trader
Amazing Trader EVENT RISK Calendar:
Mon 20 Nov
14:00 EZ- Draghi Speech
15:00 US- Leading Indicators
Tue 21 Nov
15:00 US- Existing Homes Sales
23:00 US- Yellen Speech
Wed 22 Nov
13:30 US- Weekly Jobless
13:30 US- Durable Goods
15:00 US- final University of Michigan Survey
15:30 US- EIA Crude
19:00 US- FOMC Minutes
Thu 23 Nov
All Day flash PMIs
13:30 CA- Retail Sales
Fri 24 Nov
All Day flash PMIs
09:00 DE- IFO Survey
US- Early Closes
Potential Trading Opportunities
John M. Bland, MBA
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Mon -- 14:00 GMT EZ- Draghi speaks in Brussels. Looking for any policy hints or bias
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Tue -- 13:30 GMT US- Existing Homes Sales. Top Housing Statistic
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Tue -- 23:30 GMT US- Yellen Speech. Early evening. Looking for anything on policy
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Wed -- 13:30 GMT US- Weekly Jobless, Durable Goods
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Wed -- 15:00 GMT US- final University of Michigan Survey
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Wed -- 15:30 GMT US- EIA Crude
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Wed -- 19:00 GMT US- FOMC Policy Minutes. Key policy release
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Daily Trading Chart Points Updated
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Free Forex Database updated
TRADER ADVOCACY ARTICLES
Trader's Advocate Articles..