Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Saber Rattling in Ukraine, S&P500 Still Dying to Close at All-Time Highs
US Market Update: Saber Rattling in Ukraine, S&P500 Still Dying to Close at
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:18 AM EST
- (US) MBA Mortgage Applications w/e Feb 21st: -8.5% v -4.1% pror
- (MX) Mexico Jan Preliminary Trade Balance: -$3.2B v $1.7B prior
- (US) Jan New Home Sales: 468K v 400Ke
- (US) Weekly DOE Crude Oil Inventories: Crude +68K v +1Me; Gasoline: -2.8M v
-1Me; Distillate: +340K v -1Me
- The S&P500 continues to lunge for and then shy away from all-time highs.
As of writing, the DJIA is up 0.30%, the S&P500 is up 0.24% and the Nasdaq
is up 0.60%.
- The situation in Ukraine and Russia
is heating up this morning, with plenty of rhetoric and saber rattling. Russia
announced military drills on Ukraine's borders, and NATO responded by pledging
to support Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity. The main
beneficiary of all the hot talk has been the dollar. EUR/USD has plummeted
toward 1.3660, while the collapse of the Ukrainian Hryvna is dragging down the
Russian Ruble with it. Front month crude has stabilized in the mid-$102 handle
while the slide in natural gas futures has slowed, putting the April contract
- After a raft of poor US housing data, the
January new home sales data came in better than expected and saw home buys rise
9.6% y/y to their highest level in more than five years. Sales rose in
the Northeast and South, but fell in the Midwest and West. On the other hand,
the MBA mortgage applications data for the week ending Feb 21st fell 8.5%, to
the lowest level seen in the series since late 2000.
- Retail stocks are in the spotlight this morning. Target, TJX Companies and Dollar Tree all barely met or missed consensus
expectations in quarterly reports, and Abercrombie & Fitch may have widely
topped EPS expectations, but its profits sank nearly 60% y/y. Guidance
out of all these firms widely missed expectations. Nevertheless, Abercrombie's
beat looks like a catalyst for the beaten-down retail names to move higher,
with shares of ANF up 8%, leading the sector higher. TGT and DLTR are up 4.5%
or so a piece, while TJX is up only about 1%.
- Shares of Barnes & Noble gained in the premarket and then surged to +8%
in cash trading after the firm's third quarter profits crushed expectations.
Comps were negative and revenues fell on a y/y basis, but like ANF traders were
looking for excuses to buy. Shares gave
up much of these gains after executive dismissed the G Asset Management takeout
offer from a few days ago as "not worthy of further discussion."
- Lows met expectations in its fourth quarter numbers and guidance. Revenue
climbed slightly more than 5% and comps were solidly positive. Lowes executive
said that they believe US homeowners are still seeing the value of their homes
increase and are less likely to lower spending levels. LOW is up 6% and HD has
gained another 2% after yesterday's gains post-HD's report.
- 12:00 (FR) France Jan Net Change Jobseekers: No est v +10.2K prior; Total
Jobseekers: No est v 3.303M prior
- 14:00 (AR) Argentina Jan Shop Center Sales Y/Y: No est v 19.9% prior;
Supermarket Sales Y/Y: No est v 35.5% prior
- 16:45 (NZ) New Zealand Jan Trade Balance: No est v 523M prior; Exports: No
est v 4.76B prior; Imports: No est v 4.2B prior
- 19:30 (US) Fed's Pianalto speaks on career
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."