Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: JPMorgan Falls Short, Equity Sell-off On Hold
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 11:11 AM EST
- (IN) India Forex Reserves w/e April 4th: $306.7B v $303.7B prior
- (IN) India Feb Industrial Production Y/Y: -1.9% v +0.9%e
- (PL) Poland Feb Current Account Balance: -€0.6B v -€0.5Be; Trade Balance:
€0.2B v €0.5Be
- (US) Mar PPI Final Demand M/M: 0.5% v 0.1%e; Y/Y: 1.4% v 1.1%e
- (US) Mar PPI Ex Food and Energy M/M:
0.6% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 1.4% v 1.1%e
- (MX) Mexico Feb Industrial Production M/M: 0.3% v 0.5%e; Y/Y: 0.7% v 1.0%e;
Manufacturing Production Y/Y: 2.2%e
- (US) Apr Preliminary University of
Michigan Confidence: 82.6 v 81.0e
- US equities zigzagged through the
first hour and a half of cash trading in negative territory. The benchmark
10-year yield dropped briefly below 2.620% before easing a bit, while the
dollar has checked its declines. The VIX is back around 16. As of
writing, the DJIA and S&P500 are down 0.25% a piece, while the Nasdaq is
flat on the day.
- Both the euro and the yen have strengthened all week long despite the
weakness in equities, spurring comments from analysts that the risk off/strong
dollar correlation seems to be breaking down. This morning the dollar is a bit firmer, EUR/USD rose into the 1.3900
handle and leveled off and USD/JPY moved off lows around 101.4. Note
that there were unsubstantiated rumors of a BoJ rate check circulating earlier.
- The preliminary April University of Michigan confidence reading beat
expectations and rose to 82.6 from the final March reading of 80.8, the highest
rate in the index since last July. There had been some concern about the
weakness seen in the March reading. The final March PPI core reading was well
above expectations and saw its biggest monthly gain in three years.
- The Ukraine situation remains at a low boil. Russia expressed disappointment
that central European nations ignored his threatening letter on Ukraine gas
debt issues, while EU Energy
Commissioner Oettinger said the EU was working on a solution that could help
Ukraine pay for its energy supplies. Meanwhile, German tabloid Bild
warned that a confidential NATO assessment suggested Russia might be looking to
occupy all of Ukraine. WTI crude futures have crept higher all week despite the
big builds in inventories, and are within striking distance of $104 presently,
their highest level since the aftermath of the Ukrainian revolution in early
- Shares of JPMorgan lost 4% or so in the premarket but have perked up a bit in
early cash trading. JPMorgan saw its
first earnings miss in over two years in its first quarter, and only its fifth
miss in ten years. Overall earnings fell 28% y/y, fixed income and markets
revenue dropped 20% y/y and mortgage originations slid nearly 70% y/y.
The firm warned that mortgage production would be negative in Q2 - driving a
loss for the business unit - and also negative for the year.
- Wells Fargo beat earnings
expectations in its first quarter, on a healthy y/y gain in net profit.
However the bottom line concealed some pretty poor metrics: income from
mortgage banking fell by 46%, new home loans were down nearly two-thirds y/y,
and total net income was padded by another loan loss reserve release. Shares of
WFC are about flat on the day, while most other major bank stocks are down one
or two percent.
- It has been the busiest IPO week since 2007 by one count, with up to 16
planned openings (several were cancelled due to the terrible market
conditions). The most notable gainer of
the morning has been the IPO of Zoe's Kitchen. Shares of the fast casual
restaurant concept priced at $15 last night and opened for trading at $25.65.
Agriculture REIT Farmland Partners priced their IPO at $14, but shares opened
for trading this morning at $13.75.
- World Bank and International Monetary Fund begin 3-day spring Meeting
- (GR) German Chancellor Merkel to meet Greece PM Samaras in Athens
- (SE) Sweden Sovereign Debt Rating May Be Published by Moody's
- (DE) Germany Sovereign Debt Rating by DBRS
- (IT) Italy Sovereign Debt Rating by DBRS
- (ES) Spain Sovereign Debt Rating by DBRS
- 12:00 (IS) Iceland Mar International Reserves (ISK): No est v 496B prior
- (CO) Colombia Central Bank's Economists Survey
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."