Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Ukraine Chaos and Chinese PMI Data Restrain Global Markets
Mon, 05 May 2014 11:12 AM EST
- (ZA) South Africa Q1 Unemployment Rate: 25.2% v 24.1% prior
- (CL) Chile Mar Economic Activity M/M: -0.2% v +0.2%e; Y/Y: 2.8% v 3.0%e
- (SG) Singapore Apr Purchasing Managers Index: 51.1 v 51.1e; Electronics
Sector: 50.4 v 51.9e
- (US) Apr Final Markit US Services PMI: 55.0 v 54.5e; Composite PMI: 55.6 v
- (US) Apr ISM Non-Manufacturing: 55.2
- Global equity markets got off on the wrong foot this week, as the fourth consecutive contraction in Chinese
HSBC manufacturing data and worsening conditions in Ukraine drove investors
into the arms of safe assets. Note that the benchmark 10-year yield was
below 2.600% earlier this morning, but has widened out a bit as of writing. US
equities have recovered from their early declines, with the DJIA down 0.10%,
the S&P500 up 0.03% and the Nasdaq down 0.07%.
- The April ISM services activity index
rose to 55.2, its fastest pace of expansion in eight months. The
subindex of business activity climbed to 60.9 in April from 53.4 in March,
while orders jumped to an eight-month high of 58.2.
- Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel has
become the latest victim of online crime. Target said Steinhafel would step
down immediately and be replaced on an interim basis by CFO John Mulligan.
Many observers praised Steinhafel for the level of openness Target displayed in
coping with the massive 2013 holiday season data breach, however the size of
the crisis would have been hard for any executive to escape from unscathed.
Shares of TGT are down 3%.
- Pfizer missed revenue expectations as
sales in its first quarter fell 15% y/y. The company continues to suffer
from generic Lipitor competitors. Income declined y/y for both Pfizer's newer
medicines and its older, mostly off-patent drugs. Management reiterated their
proposal for Astrazeneca is fair and will remain disciplined as they work
through the process trying to reach a deal. PFE is down 2%.
- Shares of BE Aerospace are among the
big movers this morning after the company disclosed yesterday afternoon that it
would be exploring strategic alternatives, including a possible sale of the
company or a spin-off of units. Shares of BEAV are up more than 20%.
- Food processing name Tyson beat top- and bottom-line estimates in its second
quarter report, doubled its its profits, raised its FY revenue guidance and
dramatically improved margins. However, shares
of Tyson are down more than 8% this morning as investors ignore all the good
news and hone in on the firm's industry guidance for overall domestic protein
production (chicken, beef, pork and turkey) to decrease approximately 1% y/y
and feed costs would rise again.
- Shares of Auction house Sotheby's are bucking the downtrend today and gaining
more than 2% after Third Point chief Dan Loeb announced he had reached an
agreement with management on long-debated board appointments. Sotheby's
expanded its board to include Loeb and two lieutenants who will also be added
to the company's slate of director nominees for election at the 2014 annual
- 11:30 (US) Treasury to sell combined $48B in 3-Month and 6-Month Bills
- 12:00 (EU) ECB's Mersch (Luxembourg)
- 17:00 (CO) Colombia Apr PPI M/M: No est v 1.7% prior; Y/Y: No est v 2.6%
- 20:00 (CO) Colombia Apr CPI M/M: 0.3%e v 0.4% prior; Y/Y: 2.6%e v 2.5% prior
- 21:30 (AU) Australia Mar Trade Balance: A$1.0Be v A$1.2B prior
- 00:30 (Tues) (AU) RBA Interest Rate
Decision: Expected to leave Cash Rate Target unchanged at 2.50%
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."