Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Consolidation and Low Volumes Drive European and US Indices Lower
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:11 AM EST
- (PT) Bank of Portugal reports May ECB financing to Portuguese banks at €44.3B
v €44.6B prior
- (US) MBA Mortgage Applications w/e Jun 6th: +10.3% v -3.1% prior
- (RU) Russia Gold and Forex Reserve w/e Jun 6th: $469.9B v $466.9B prior
- (RU) Russia Apr Trade Balance: $19.8B v $18.0Be; Exports: $47.5B v $45.4Be;
Imports: $27.6B v $27.7Be
- (MX) Mexico Apr Industrial Production M/M: 0.6% v 0.8%e; Y/Y: -0.6% v -0.2%e;
Manufacturing Production Y/Y: -0.1% v 0.8%e
- (US) DOE Crude: -2.6M v -2.0Me; Gasoline: +1.7M v +0.5Me; Distillate: +860K v
- Today investors are consolidating
gains that pushed European and US indices out to all-time highs over recent
sessions. European indices are looking to close near their lows and US
indices are seeing modest declines. Overall trading volumes are anemic,
exaggerating the downside moves. As of writing, the DJIA is down 0.54%, the
S&P500 is down 0.44% and the Nasdaq is down 0.10%.
- Iraq is a source of major concern this morning after Mosul, the country's
second-largest city, fell to islamist insurgents under the ISIS banner. Note
that ISIS has become a major force fighting the Syrian government. This morning there are reports that fighting
is raging across western Iraq, with the cities of Tikrit and Samara under
pressure. Also, ISIS has taken the Baiji plant, the nation's largest refinery.
Crude futures have reacted calmly to the developments, with front-month WTI
right about where it was yesterday, at $104.40.
- OPEC agreed to keep its output target
of 30 million bpd unchanged at its meeting in Vienna. OPEC Sec General
Al-Badri characterized the market as very stable and prices appropriate. In
addition, members voted to keep Al-Badri in his position for another year,
being yet again unable to agree on a new candidate for secretary general.
- EU officials have launched an
investigation into whether Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands provided
improper tax breaks to Apple, Starbucks and Fiat. The investigation will
determine whether tax breaks amounted to improper state aid to the companies.
Recall that last year, a US Senate investigation concluded that Apple had
negotiated a special low tax rate with the Irish that allowed it to avoid
paying at least $15 billion in US taxes on $44 billion in overseas income in
- Rambus agreed to a licensing pact
that allows Qualcomm to use its technology in its wireless chip sets. The pact
includes certain memory technology and access to patented security technologies.
Terms were not disclosed, however Rambus hiked its second quarter revenue
outlook to well above consensus - this after a below-consensus revenue forecast
with the firm's last earnings report helped take its shares lower back in
April. Today RMBS is up 5.4%.
- Among the big gainers this morning is Ulta Salon, up nearly 15% after first
quarter earnings topped expectations and second quarter guidance topped
consensus views. Shares of Elizabeth Arden are up nearly 10% on takeover
chatter. Several small-cap biotechs are
making big, double-digit moves this morning: Galena Biopharma is up 10%,
Provectus is up 26% and Ventrus was up as much as 12% (and is also in a pending
buyout deal); note that there is no news in the names, besides the fevered
M&A environment. Synaptics is up 22% on a positive analyst note.
- 11:30 (BR) Brazil weekly Currency Flows
- 12:00 (US) USDA World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE)
- 12:00 OPEC press conference
- 12:00 (CA) Canada to sell 30-Year Real-Return Bonds
- 13:00 (US) Treasury to sell $21B in 10-Year Notes Reopening
- 13:00 (US) May Monthly Budget Statement: -$130.0Be v +$116.9B prior
- 16:00 (NZ) New Zealand Central Bank (RBNZ) Interest Rate Decision: Expected
raise Official Cash Rate by 25bps to 3.25%
- 16:05 (NZ) New Zealand Central Bank (RBNZ) Gov Wheeler
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."