Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: August Jobs Report Disappoints
Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:52 AM EST
- (IE) Ireland July Industrial Production M/M: +11.3% v -19.8% prior; Y/Y: 17.5
v 1.6% prior
- (EU) ECB: 12 banks to repay total €9.1B in 3-Year LTRO Funds vs. €2.5Be
- (BR) Brazil Aug FGV Inflation IGP-DI M/M: +0.1% v -0.1%e
- (IN) India Forex Reserves w/e Aug 15th: $318.6B v $318.6B prior
- (PL) Poland Aug Official Reserves: $102.0B v $103.5B prior
- (BR) Brazil Aug IBGE Inflation IPCA M/M: 0.3% v 0.3%e; Y/Y: 6.5% v 6.5%e
- (US) Aug Change in Nonfarm Payrolls: +142K v +230Ke; Change in Private
Payrolls: +134K v +215Ke; Change in Manufacturing Payrolls: 0K v +15Ke
- (US) Aug Unemployment Rate: 6.1% v 6.1%e; Underemployment Rate: 12.0% v 12.2%
prior; Change in Household Employment: +16K v +238Ke; Labor Force Participation
Rate: 62.8% v 62.9% prior
- (US) Aug Average Hourly Earnings M/M: 0.2% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 2.1% v 2.0%e;
Average Weekly Hours: 34.5 v 34.5e
- (CA) Canada Aug Net Change in Employment: -11.0K v +10.0Ke; Unemployment
Rate: 7.0% v 7.0%e
- (CA) Canada Q2 Labor Productivity Q/Q: 1.8% v 1.6%e
- (CL) Chile July Economic Activity Index M/M: 0.5% v 0.2%e; Y/Y: 0.9% v 0.5%e
- (MX) Mexico Aug Consumer Confidence Index: 89.7 v 91.0e
- (MX) Mexico Leading Indicators M/M: 0.1% v 0.1% prior
- (CL) Chile July Real Wage M/M: 1.0% v 0.0% prior; Y/Y: 2.4% v 1.8% prior
- (MX) Mexico Central Bank (Banxico) leaves Overnight Rate unchanged at 3.00%
- (CA) Canada Aug Ivey Purchasing Managers Index (Seasonally Adj): 50.9 v 55.3e
- The August jobs report was a disappointing miss, however analysts and
participants seem to agree that it will hardly derail the sense of acceleration
in the US economy. Global equities have been pretty soft since the Asia
session, and as of writing the DJIA is down 0.27%, the S&P500 is down 0.25%
and the Nasdaq is off 0.36%.
- Today's nonfarm payrolls data - the lowest figure in 2014 so far - breaks a
six-month stretch of 200K+ monthly gains, the longest run seen since the late
1990s. Commentators note that the August data has the greatest chance of being
revised higher. Many analysts suggest the final estimate will rise to the upper
half of the 150-200K range. In addition, over the last 12 years or so, every
NFP print over +300K has been followed by one near or under +100K, suggesting
that the July/August data are following a well-established pattern.
- Diplomacy has once again taken the upper hand in the Ukraine conflict.
Representatives of Kiev and the pro-Russia rebels have met in Minsk this
morning and agreed to a temporary cease-fire, to take effect at 11:00ET.
Fighting was continuing in certain areas ahead of the deadline, while NATO and
Russian officials traded barbs over their engagement in the conflict.
- According to unconfirmed press reports, Alibaba plans to kick off its IPO
roadshow in New York City starting on Monday, Sept 8th. The IPO pricing range
could be disclosed as early as today. Alibaba is then expected to price the IPO
on Sept 18th and begin trading its shares on the NYSE on Sept 19th.
- Shares of Tesla are down 4% or so this morning after confirming plans to
build its first gigafactory in Northern Nevada. Comments during yesterday's
event are cited for the declines: CEO Must had stated to the press that he thought
Tesla's stock price was "kind of high right now."
- Retail names are ticking lower on various stories this morning. The Gap's
August comps were worst than expected, down 2%, while its Gap brand comps were
down 6% worldwide. Michael Kors is off 5% or so after pricing shares for
selling shareholders at a discount to the firm's recent trading range. Former
cult stock Zumiez is down 6% after offering weak guidance with earnings.
- 11:00 (UR) Proposed ease fire takes effect between Ukraine and Separatists
- 15:45 (US) Fed;s Rosengren in Boston
- 20:00 (CO) Colombia Aug CPI M/M: 0.1%e v 0.2% prior; Y/Y: 2.9%e v 2.9% prior
- 20:00 (CO) Colombia Aug CPI Core M/M: No est v 0.1% prior; Y/Y: No est v
- (MX) Mexico Banamex Survey of Economists
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."