Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Market Update: Broader Indices Weak, World Awaits New iPhone 6
Tue, 09 Sep 2014 10:47 AM EST
- (ZA) South Africa Q3 BER Business Confidence: 46.0 v 41.0 prior
- (PT) Bank of Portugal reports July ECB financing to Portuguese banks at
€35.8B v €37.9B prior
- (BR) Brazil Sept IGP-M Inflation 1st Preview: 0.3% v 0.2%e
- (US) Aug NFIB Small Business Optimism: 96.1 v 96.0e
- (US) ICSC Chain Store Sales w/e Sept 5th: w/w: +0.7%; y/y: +4.0%
- (CA) Canada Aug Annualized Housing Starts: 192.4K v 195.0Ke
- (US) Redbook Retail Sales w/e Sept 5th :+4.9% y/y, Sept MTD: 0.2% m/m
- (MX) Mexico Aug CPI M/M: 0.4% v 0.3%e; Y/Y: 4.2% v 4.1%e; CPI Core M/M: 0.2%
- (EU) Weekly ECB Forex Reserves: €213.9B v €213.3B prior
- (UK) Aug NIESR GDP Estimate: 0.6% v 0.6% prior
- (US) July JOLTS Job Openings: 4.67M v 4.70Me
- The S&P500 pushed back toward the
lows seen last Friday this morning as advances above the key 2000 level
continue to be met with plenty of technical blowback. As of writing, the
DJIA is down 0.49%, the S&P500 is down 0.39% and the Nasdaq is down 0.38%.
- Sterling hit fresh nine-month lows today, sinking as low as 1.6070 as traders
considered the implications of possible Scottish independence. Credit Suisse wrote that GBP/USD could fall
as low as 1.50 if Scotland votes for independence. Separately, BoE Gov
Carney sounded a hawkish note in a speech this morning, warning that the time
to normalize interest rates was getting closer, noting that gradual hikes from
the spring of 2015 were consistent with the inflation mandate. GBP/USD bounced
as high as 1.6155 on the remarks before turning around again. Yields on Spanish
10-year government bonds widened out this morning on speculation that a yes
vote for Scottish independence could spill over into the Catalonia region in
Spain, strengthening partisans of Catalan independence.
- McDonald's said global comparable
sales fell 3.7% in August and blamed "several headwinds" for the
decline. The fast-food restaurant chain also warned that problems with a
supplier in China will hurt third-quarter results.
- It's Apple's big day today, with the
rollout of the new iPhone 6 and possibly a preview of the iWatch product
expected at 13:00ET. The iPhone 6 will be available in two screen sizes
(4.7 inches and 5.5 inches) and may also be priced higher than previously.
Perhaps the biggest anticipated development to be announced today will be
Apple's new mobile payment system, which promises to become a central feature
of both the iWatch and the iPhone system.
- Airline stocks are weak this morning
after American Airlines said its overall traffic was flat in August,
reflecting a big increase in the Pacific region balanced by declines in its
Latin American and Atlantic operations. Load factor fell even as capacity rose.
Separately, Southwest Air's August metrics were more positive. Shares of AAL
and DAL fell around 2% in the premarket but are back in positive territory mid
morning, while UAL is up 2.0% and LUV is up 1.0%.
- Share of troubled retailer Barnes & Noble popped more than 3.5% in the
premarket after the company disclosed better-than-expected first quarter
results. The firm's quarterly losses were smaller than anticipated although so
were revenues. Retail comps and revenues remain very impaired. B&N remains
on track to sell off the profitable NOOK business by the end of Q1 of 2015.
Shares have lost most of their altitude as of writing.
- (MX) Mexico Aug ANTAD Same-Store Sales Y/Y: 3.6%e v 0.7% prior
- (PE) Peru July Trade Balance: -$709Me v -$320M prior
- 11:15 (BR) Brazil to sell I/L 2019, 2023, 2030, 2040 and 2050 Bonds
- 11:30 (US) Treasury to sell 4-Week Bills
- 12:00 (US) DOE Short-Term Crude Outlook
- 13:00 (US) (US) Treasury to sell $27B in 3-Year Notes
- 21:30 (JP) BOJ Deputy Gov Iwata speaks in Kanazawa City
- (US) Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island Hold Primary
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."