Share This Story
TradeTheNews.com US Mid-Session Update: Decent Dec Payrolls Fail to Offset Slow Wage Growth Concerns
Fri, 09 Jan 2015 11:29 AM EST
- (IE) Ireland Nov Industrial Production M/M: 4.6 v 9.8% prior; Y/Y: 36.3 v
- (BR) Brazil Dec IBGE Inflation IPCA M/M: 0.8% v 0.8%e; Y/Y: 6.4% v 6.4%e
- (PT) Portugal Nov Trade Balance: -€0.8B v -€0.9B prior
- (EU) ECB: 18 Banks to repay total €14.2B in 3-year LTRO Funds vs. €7.1B prior
- (IN) India Weekly Forex Reserves w/e Jan 2nd: $319.2B v $319.7B prior
- (CA) Canada Dec Housing Starts (Annualized): 180.6K v 192.0Ke
- (US) Dec Change in Nonfarm Payrolls:
+252K v +240Ke; Change in Private Payrolls: +240K v +225Ke; Change in
Manufacturing Payrolls: +17K v +15Ke
- (US) Dec Unemployment Rate: 5.6% v
5.7%e; Underemployment Rate: 11.2% v 11.4% prior; Change in Household
Employment: +111K v +310Ke
- (US) Dec Average Hourly Earnings M/M: -0.2% v +0.2%e; Y/Y: 1.7% v 2.2%e;
Average Weekly Hours: 34.6 v 34.6e
- (CA) Canada Dec Net Change in Employment: -4.3K v +14.5Ke; Unemployment Rate:
% v 6.6%e; Full Time Employment Change: +53.5K v +5.7K prior; Part Time
Employment Change: -57.7K v -16.3K prior; Participation Rate: 65.9% v 66.0%e
- (CA) Canada Nov Building Permits M/M:
-13.8% v 0.5%e
- (MX) Mexico Nov Industrial Production M/M: 0.2% v 0.4%e; Y/Y: 1.8% v 2.1%e;
Manufacturing Production Y/Y: 3.6% v 3.9%e
Nervousness about flagging US wage
growth has driven equity declines this morning, with European indices closing
at their lows and the three leading US indices all down more than 1%.
The 10-year yield is down nearly seven basis points, putting it back below 2%.
As of writing, the DJIA is down 1.14%, the S&P500 is down 1.05% and the
Nasdaq is down 1.0%.
Dissection of the December jobs report focused chiefly on the hourly earnings
component. The very healthy November
gain in earnings was cut in half by revisions (to +0.2% from the preliminary
+0.4%), and December earnings were -0.2%. The data pulled the y/y growth rate
to its lowest level in more than two years (+1.7%). Note that the Fed is
on record with its desire to see earnings growth accelerating to +3% y/y to
help it accomplish its 2% inflation target.
Following the jobs report, Fed dove
Evans defended his repeated calls to hold off on rate hikes until 2016 despite
lower unemployment and sustained payroll gains. Evans said he was still
worried about low inflation and said the 2% target would not likely be reached
before mid-2016 or even 2017. Evans said wage growth of 3-4% was needed, well
below the rate seen in today's jobs numbers.
Crude prices are racking up fresh five-year lows this morning as markets
accentuate the negative in the US jobs data. Brent crude futures are below $49.70, down over 3%. WTI crude is down
2.5% around $47.50, but still above Wednesday's low of $46.83. Analysts
note that the Oil Services fund OIH is just above the Dec 16th low of $33.72,
which coincided with a rebound in high-yield and equity markets.
Macy's rolled out a new strategy to focus on popular services such as in-store
pickups for online orders and shipping from stores. Macy's said it would close
14 stores in spring and cut some jobs, but was vague about the workforce
reductions. The company also reported SSS for the holiday period rose 2.7%.
Shares of the retailer are down more than 3%.
- Agencies to publish sovereign ratings on Germany, Malta, Netherland, Portugal
- 10:00 (UK) Dec NIESR GDP Estimate: No est v 0.7% prior
- 13:20 (US) Fed's Lacker
on 2015 economic outlook
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."