Forex News Blog
Back to The Headlines
Share This Story
Trade the News - U.S. Market UpdateDow +67 S&P +8 NASDAQ +31.5
- U.S. equity markets forge higher after PPI and retail sales data fail to ignite inflationary concerns, but do allude to a resurfacing of the Goldie-locks scenario. Traders seem to have shrugged off a higher than expected m/m headline reading, and focused on the softer than expected core reading for both m/m and y/y PPI. Also, hotter than expected Sep retail sales are being chalked up the higher gasoline sales that didn't necessarily show up in yesterday's SSS results. Expectations for another cut by the Fed at the end of this month have declined slightly with Nov fed funds future projecting close to 30% probability. The Jan contract now puts odds of a 4.5% fed funds rate by year-end at roughly 75%. Initially Treasury futures ticked lower on the firmer U.S. data but have since rallied back to pre-announcement levels with the benchmark yield holding above 4.65%. Gains in McDonalds +0.6% post strong SSS figures are helping offset losses in the Dow from General Electric -1.6% after providing Q4 earnings. Semi Cap-equipment stocks are strong after Samsung raised its Capex guidance. SOX +1.25% BEA Systems has jumped more than 30% after receiving an offer from Oracle. BIDU opened down substantially after more cautious broker comments but has rallied more than 6% from its worst levels. Some of the specialty metals names are under pressure after ATI -9% cut guidance. RNK trading in the UK dropped more than 15% after cutting guidance. U.S. names moving lower after cutting their outlooks include: CWTR -26% ABD -12% and WHQ -16%. Crude futures have been fairly quiet though they did pare some overnight losses ahead of the NY open when reports surfaced that Turkish PKK rebels were heading into Turkey. November crude remains above $83 and Dec gold is holding above $750.
- The USD remained on the defensive as the week ended despite better than expected US data on Friday. ECB comments from Constancio undermined the intraday sentiment for the dollar. Constancio noted that the ECB does not have any specific target for the EUR and that the nominal effective EUR FX rate has only appreciated 4.3% since its creation. He later added that the Euro zone interest rates remain at historically low levels and that the USD can encounter additional pressure from its current account deficits. EUR/USD remains in sight but below its all-time high of 1.4277 set back on Sept 30th. The EUR also received some additional momentum from alleged merger flows. Dealer chatter the Royal bank of Scotland continued to purchase Euros (sell GBP) to funds its purchase of ABN Amro. Dealers noting that up to EUR7B has been purchased. EUR/GBP again tested above the 0.70 handle on such flows. European fixed income futures dropped during the NY morning as ECB's Constancio reiterated that European interest rates remain at historically low levels and expressed concern on inflation above the 2.0% central bank target. Dec Bund futures dipped 37 ticks to test 111.70 level before consolidating ahead of the close.
Forex Trading News
Daily Forex Market News
Forex news reports can be found on the forex research
headlines page below. Here you will find real-time forex market news reports
provided by respected contributors of currency trading information. Daily forex
market news, weekly forex research and monthly forex news features can be found
Real-time forex market news reports and features providing
other currency trading information can be accessed by clicking on any of the
headlines below. At the top of the forex blog page you will find the latest
forex trading information. Scroll down the page if you are looking for less
recent currency trading information. Scroll to the bottom of fx blog headlines
and click on the link for past reports on forex. Currency world news reports
from previous years can be found on the left sidebar under "FX Archives."
Elevate Your Trading With The Amazing Trader!
The Amazing Trader includes:
Register To Test Your Amazing Trader
- Actionable trading levels delivered to YOUR charts in real-time.
- Live trading strategy sessions.
- Market Updates with Trading Tools.
Trading Ideas for 23 October 2017
Register for the Amazing Trader
Amazing Trader EVENT RISK Calendar:
Tue 24 Oct
All Day flash PMIs
Wed 25 Oct
01:30 AU- CPI
08:00 DE- IFO Survey
08:30 GB- GDP
14:00 CA- BOC Decision
14:30 US- EIA Crude
Thu 26 Oct
11:45 EZ- ECB Decision
12:30 US- Weekly Jobless
14:00 US- Pending Homes Sales
Fri 27 Oct
12:30 US- GDP
14:00 US- final Univ of Michigan
Potential Trading Opportunities
John M. Bland, MBA
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Tue-- All Day Global flash PMIs. First good look at October economic performances.
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Wed-- 01:30 GMT AU- CPI. Top Inflation indicator.
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Wed-- 08:00 GMT DE- IFO Survey. Top German indicator.
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: HIGH Wed-- 14:00 GMT CA- BOC Decision. No Policy Change Expected.
- POTENTIAL PRICE RISK: Medium Wed-- 14:30 GMT US- EIA Crude. Top Weekly WTI Statistic.
co-founding Partner, Global-View.com
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Daily Trading Chart Points Updated
EXCLUSIVE: Global-View Free Forex Database updated
TRADER ADVOCACY ARTICLES
Trader's Advocate Articles..