User Name: Password:      Register - Lost password?
OPEN Forum

Forex Forum     ← Back to Forums

Sort Order: Latest Post on Top - Latest Post Last            Post Reply

Toronto tn  13:48:22 GMT - 04/27/2009  
Sorry Jay, I don't mean to sound critical, but I would just make a small point about the term "trader profile," which to my mind may be misleading. Profile insofar as it implies a sort of personality or psychological dimension is imho the incorrect approach.

All the questions you posed are not so much a function of a given person's personality --which may not be what you meant at all in the first place, but it sort of is what the word "profile" implies-- but rather a direct function of the timeframe that one is trading. In other words, those questions you posed are directly answered by reference to the timeframe one executes a given trade in, rather than one's underlying psychological make-up (which is too intangible a concept to really be of any use).

One thing I recall from the book I mentioned in my earlier post here, Farley talks about the primary mistake that inexperienced traders make is to conceive a trade in one time frame and then execute it in a different one altogether. There's a term for this phenomenon but I can't recall it at the moment. Of course he was talking about equities, but in forex because of the structure of the market, this problem of muddling up timeframes is even more acute.

Anyway, just my two cents worth in this interesting discussion.

GVI Forex Jay  17:46:01 GMT - 04/24/2009  
The following is from the Trader profile chapter in our book (click on the Amazon banner in the lower right sidebar to order the book):

FOREX traders have different profiles, primarily based on what time horizons they like to trade—ranging from very short-term to very long-term. Find the one that suits you best and bring all of your trade plan considerations in line with it.

Good traders share common characteristics; so do bad traders. Discovering your bad traits early is a key to not getting knocked out of the game before you have an opportunity to get a firm toehold.

WHAT IS YOUR TRADER PROFILE?
Determining your trader profile early on in your FOREX career is very important to your chances of success. Too many traders jump from one type of trade and profile to another quickly and often. The markets are enormously complex and deep; finding a trading profile is essentially finding your own niche in the market. Once you have your unique space, you can drill deeper for improvements.

The primary considerations in determining a trade profile are:
_ How long—on average—do you expect to hold positions?
_ How much profit—on average—do you wish to achieve for each trade you make?
_ How much risk—on average—are you willing to take on each trade?

Source: Forex Essentials in 15 Trades: The Global-View.com Guide to Successful Currency Trading(Wiley Trading) copyright John Wiley & Sons, 2009. Used with Permission

GVI Forex john  16:08:43 GMT - 04/24/2009  
Although I know one when I see one, Id love to see a clear definition of a day trader vs. a position trader. In my mind, a day-trader has to get out by the close of business each day.

GVI Forex john  15:57:48 GMT - 04/24/2009  
Our suggested topic for the weekend Help Forum discussion came from the list kindly prepared by “jf” last week.

"How Do You Figure Out What Type Of Trader You Are? Day Trader/Position Trader Or Not Suited To Trading."

Many might have noticed that we recently have included a check-box in the trade template for position trades. We distinguish position trades from day-trades. It can be a subjective decision at times to determine in many cases what is a day-trade and what is a position trade. Our rule of thumb is a position trade is a trade that you are prepared to hold onto for more than 24 hours, but other definitions are acceptable, such as a position trade might have a larger profit target and greater stop loss allowance. This certainly is a valid topic for discussion We urge you to use the Position trade check off box when you feel it is applicable.

Don’t feel in any way that you are constrained to address this topic only. If there is something you might want to bring up, feel free to do so. We need also need future special topic suggestions. This feature will only work if we focus on items of interest to the G-V community.

Please note also that we are now starting our weekly discussions now on Friday afternoons NY time, just as the market wind down for the week. Be aware that Jay, I and others will be checking in on the discussion periodically over the weekend and will participate when we feel we have something to add.

Actionable trading levels delivered LIVE to YOUR charts

GVI Trading. Potential Price Risk Scale
AA: Major, A: High, B: Medium

Mon 27 May 2019
AAGB/US- Holiday
Tue 28 May 2019
A 14:00 US- Consumer Confidence
C 13:00 US- Case-Shiller
Wed 29 May 2019
A 08:55 DE- Employment
AA 18:00 US- BOC Decision
A 18:30 US- EIA Crude
Thu 30 Mar 2019
AAEZ/CH- Holiday
A 12:30 US- Weekly Jobless
Fri 31 Mar 2019
AA 10:00 EZ- Flash HICP
A 12:30 US- Personal Income, Spending, Deflator
AA 14:00 US- Final Univ of Michigan

Global-View Affiliate Program

We are starting an affiliate program to market some of our products.

Send me an email if you would be interested or if you know someone who would like to be an affiliate. Generous commissions payout for those accepted.

Put the word "affiliate" in the email subject line.

Contact us

Start trading with forex broker Markets Cube

pic

Retail Forex Brokerage Changing!

Are you looking for your first broker or do you need of a new one? There are more critical things to consider than you might have thought.

We were trading long before there were online brokers. Global-View has been directly involved with the industry since its infancy. We've seen everything and are up-to-data with recent regulatory changes.

Our Best Brokers listing section includes:Forex Broker Reviews, Forex Broker Directory, Forex Broker Comparisons and advice on How to Choose a Forex Broker

If would like guidance, advice, or have any concerns at all ASK US. We are here to help you.

SEE Our Best Brokers List

Currency Trading Tools

• Live rates, currency news, fx charts. 

• Research reports and currency forecasts.

• Foreign Exchange database and history.

• Weekly economic calendar.

Directory of  Forex trading tools

Terms of Use    Disclaimer    Privacy Policy    Contact    Site Map

Forex Forum
Forex Trading Forum
Forex Forum + forex rates
Forex Forum Archives
Forex Forum RSS
Free Registration

Trading Forums
Currency Forum Guide
Forum Directory